Thoughts on this QWTL design

I have learned a ton from reading all this. Thanks for sharing. I am hoping to build a big one to replace the 4 12s in my HT system.

Quick question: The signal voltage seems really low on the minidsp. Am I missing something?

The standard version of the MiniDSP is meant to operate at standard home audio gear input voltages (.9 V). I've never had any issues with it. If you wanted to use it with gear that requires a 2 V or 4 V input voltage (some pro audio gear) you can get the balanced version of the MiniDSP which can put out higher voltage.

I've used the standard version of the MiniDSP with home audio amps, my Behringer Nu3000DSP, and car audio amps without any issue, the gain just needs to be adjusted on the amp accordingly.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Yeah, right now I'm just wanting to get a general frequency response to equal and flatten out. Nothing crazy right now

The UMIK-1 should do that well.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Yeah, right now I'm just wanting to get a general frequency response to equal and flatten out. Nothing crazy right now

The UMIK-1 should do that well.

That's a lot of money for me to be spending right now. May have to wait a bit. What program is used to record the frequency response or does the miniDSP do that?

I use Room EQ Wizard, which is free. There are other choices as well.

If you just want to start with setting the highpass and lowpass filters you don't need a mic for that.

Builds:

I use Room EQ Wizard, which is free. There are other choices as well.

If you just want to start with setting the highpass and lowpass filters you don't need a mic for that.

I'll probably go ahead and get the miniDSP and corresponding plugin so I can get a feel for that then in a month or two I might be able to get the mic. So, for the mini do you need to mark down that you need a power adapter? Did I read that correctly?

Yeah you need a power adapter of some kind. You can get theirs for $10 or if you have a wall outlet to USB adapter you can power it through the USB port. That's how I'm doing it, I've got a ton of those Apple wall charger adapters sitting around.

Builds:

Yeah you need a power adapter of some kind. You can get theirs for $10 or if you have a wall outlet to USB adapter you can power it through the USB port. That's how I'm doing it, I've got a ton of those Apple wall charger adapters sitting around.

But if you use the wall adapter, can you still mess with settings on your laptop or is it a different port?

Yeah, its a different port.

In my case, when I want to mess with the settings I just unplug the USB cable from the wall adapter and plug it into my laptop. It will draw all the power it needs from a my laptop and the thing reboots in like 2 seconds.

Builds:

So, another concern I have is, do you run into major limitations with use on subwoofers considering that the UMIK-1 only goes down to 20Hz and 133dB? Considering I want to use this for some really low hitting sub setups, I want to be able to measure the output of the system down maybe to the 15Hz range (or however low I need to go for HT) to get an accurate representation of the setup and how it relates to my room. Will this limit cause an issue or is it just there on paper but doesn't really make a big deal?

I don't have a UMIK-1, the mic I have is a Dayton UMM-1, but from what I understand its very similar. Despite what the specs say I'm sure the UMIK-1 will measure down below 20 hz, it just may not be as accurate below 20 Hz, but in practice its not going to make a difference. As far as being limited to 133 dB or less, that's not really much of a limitation either. When taking measurement sweeps you never do them a full volume anyway.

Builds:

Archived