Thoughts on this QWTL design

I don't have a UMIK-1, the mic I have is a Dayton UMM-1, but from what I understand its very similar. Despite what the specs say I'm sure the UMIK-1 will measure down below 20 hz, it just may not be as accurate below 20 Hz, but in practice its not going to make a difference. As far as being limited to 133 dB or less, that's not really much of a limitation either. When taking measurement sweeps you never do them a full volume anyway.

I figured the decibel rating wouldn't be a hindrance for that reason but the frequency response worried me. I can live with it not being super accurate below 20Hz especially considering that below 20Hz you can't really hear the response yourself, it's more of a tactile response. I just had to make sure of that because there would be no point in me buying a $75 mic if it couldn't do what I primarily need it for.

So i'm getting ready to order this miniDSP pretty soon. After looking at my bank account I determined I can get the mic with the DSP (YAY!). So, i'm look at the manual for my reciever (Sony STR DH750) and it says that my subwoofer output (analog) voltage is 2 V/1 kilohm. Does this mean I need to get the "RevB/ 2Vrms max" Input jumper? For the option of Audio RCA Cables, how many of these are they talking about and how long? I'm assuming that the 5V PSU is the power block so i'll be getting that. After looking at the different programs and the data sheets I think i'm actually going to go with the 4way plugin. The only real advantage of the 2x4 advanced is that I can choose what input goes where but I don't really need that considering I'll be using only subs for the dsp and thus can opt to only use one LFE output. What do y'all think about using the 4way plugin? Another question is that, on my receiver, do I set all sub level settings to 0dB before doing all of my measuring and altering or can I leave it at where it is. I have it maxed on the receiver now so that I can get the max output from the sub output and just control the volume from the amp itself.

If the output voltage of your AVS is 2v I would probably get the 2v MiniDSP. You can always open the case up and move the jumper later if you need to.

If you are sure you are only going to be using one input the 4-way crossover plugin should be fine.

I would set the sub output on your AVR to 0 dB. I don't know about the Sony specifically but on some AVRs if the signal is set above 0dB you can get a clipped signal.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

If the output voltage of your AVS is 2v I would probably get the 2v MiniDSP. You can always open the case up and move the jumper later if you need to.

If you are sure you are only going to be using one input the 4-way crossover plugin should be fine.

I would set the sub output on your AVR to 0 dB. I don't know about the Sony specifically but on some AVRs if the signal is set above 0dB you can get a clipped signal.

Ok awseome. One of these days I'm going to get a distortion tester of some kind and test it. Whether that be anO-Scope or DD-1 or whatever. Thanks for the input, I'll probably order it tonight after band practice.

Archived