Second Skin Audio

4th order for single JL 10w6v3

Solo008

Need some help confirming my build! I calculated this box to be 17"x12.25"x15.75". Ported chamber is interior dimensions of 7.25"x10.75"x12" with port walls of 12.75" and 5.75" for a port length of 24.5". Sealed chamber is 5.25"x14.25"x10.75". Should be net volume of .462 cu ft ported tuned to 58hz and .465 cu ft sealed. Driver displacement is .078 cubic ft. This is my first Bandpass so please be kind! The box sounds great but I am trying to figure out if I got the tuning correct. Not sure if this is the correct way to find a port tune but I cannot watch the cone for less movement so I resorted to a dmm and found my highest current draw happens at 50hz. If i am tuned at 50hz and not 58hz I am losing some punch and spl above 50hz. My goal was met with this box and that was to match the output of the JL recommended ported box and remove a spl spike below 45hz and increase kick above 55hz.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkeOcS6i2TZ8g8lxwM_0vU9l-g35tQ

For those who would like to know I am running the w6 with a JL xd 1000/1v2 @ 2 ohm the gain set to 49v on a -6db 50hz tone w/LP filter set -12db @80hz.

If you are happy with the results then roll with it.

To me the box seems way to small so you are probably leaving a lot of output on the table, I'm no 4th order expert tho.

Good info by Triticum in this thread:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/206440-4th-order-blow-through-sub-question/

If you are happy with the results then roll with it.

To me the box seems way to small so you are probably leaving a lot of output on the table, I'm no 4th order expert tho.

Good info by Triticum in this thread:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/206440-4th-order-blow-through-sub-question/

I purposely built it small to keep it as flat as possible. This woofer is rated at 600w rms and has had a .65 cubic ft sealed (1000+watts) and still was not loud enough but sounded great. A 1.25 cubic foot ported box (prefab) tuned to around 50hz was way to high and had no lows under 40hz and a huge peak at 65hz. A 1.15 cubic foot ported box (self made) tuned to 36hz got loud down under 40hz but had no kick above 45hz. A JL spec .75 cubic foot tuned to 39hz sounded great but still had a slight peak at 45hz and wouldn't play 30hz very well. Then I decided to try a 4th order bandpass with the goal of matching the output of JL's ported box while staying flat as possible. SQ is the goal not spl so the 4th order has a passband of 33hz-98hz with no noticeable peak in the car and is as loud at any frequency that any one of the 4 previous boxes. So yes I am leaving some db on the table but it leaves me room for two more in the trunk if I want louder. By being small and having the motor in the ported side of the BP I gain some spl back with more mechanical and thermal power handling, and don't have a peaky box many others like. I am running this 10w6v3 at somewhere between 1000-1200 watts and it could take more. I would be willing to build another if I could gain some spl and not lose the transient response and flat curve. I was looking for someone to confirm or deny my tuning freq because if it is lower than the 58hz i calculated I may get some more above 50hz performance and not lose enough down low to be noticeable! This box may be perfect but may never know unless I build atleast two more one either way to test with my own ears.

Archived