Design for One 10" Sub

Got the sub in today along with an assortment of cables and what not! Had my girlfriend open the sub box up and look at it. She likes it. Was honestly a little shocked at the sub itself. Definitely not what i'm use to in terms of quality granted it is a $72 driver and not meant for lots of power/xmax so I guess it's justified. Quality being that the spiders seemed a bit papery to me, the cone/dustcap aren't as sturdy and the basket is pretty thin. Again, i'm not disappointed or mad. I understand it being what it is because of what it is. I can't wait to hear this thing but it'll be a long way out for that. Have to wait till I get home for winter break to start building the box (no tools of my own here at school). Then, once i'm done with the box, I have to wait until break is over until I can install the speaker and hear it playing. The anticipation will be killing me. I also have to go to the store and get some different connectors. Thought the terminal cup I bought used ring connectors but I was mistaken. Could someone tell me what this will use? I'll post a pick after i'm off desk. It's not like the picture showed on parts-express website. This is the terminal I bought for reference but, like I said, it's not the same.

http://www.parts-express.com/square-speaker-wire-terminal-cup-3-1-8-gold-spring-loaded--260-280

I wouldn't worry about the stamped basket or the soft dust cap. We are all used to seeing pretty cast frames, but there are lots of high end pro audio drivers that use stamped baskets. As long as its strong enough to support the weight of the motor that's all that matters, there is no difference in performance. Same goes for the dust cap, as long as it doesn't deflect during use (and I'm sure it won't), it doesn't matter.

All the Dayton stuff I've used has performed very well and I'm sure that sub will too.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Got the sub in today along with an assortment of cables and what not! Had my girlfriend open the sub box up and look at it. She likes it. Was honestly a little shocked at the sub itself. Definitely not what i'm use to in terms of quality granted it is a $72 driver and not meant for lots of power/xmax so I guess it's justified. Quality being that the spiders seemed a bit papery to me, the cone/dustcap aren't as sturdy and the basket is pretty thin. Again, i'm not disappointed or mad. I understand it being what it is because of what it is. I can't wait to hear this thing but it'll be a long way out for that. Have to wait till I get home for winter break to start building the box (no tools of my own here at school). Then, once i'm done with the box, I have to wait until break is over until I can install the speaker and hear it playing. The anticipation will be killing me. I also have to go to the store and get some different connectors. Thought the terminal cup I bought used ring connectors but I was mistaken. Could someone tell me what this will use? I'll post a pick after i'm off desk. It's not like the picture showed on parts-express website. This is the terminal I bought for reference but, like I said, it's not the same.

http://www.parts-express.com/square-speaker-wire-terminal-cup-3-1-8-gold-spring-loaded--260-280

I wouldn't worry about the stamped basket or the soft dust cap. We are all used to seeing pretty cast frames, but there are lots of high end pro audio drivers that use stamped baskets. As long as its strong enough to support the weight of the motor that's all that matters, there is no difference in performance. Same goes for the dust cap, as long as it doesn't deflect during use (and I'm sure it won't), it doesn't matter.

All the Dayton stuff I've used has performed very well and I'm sure that sub will too.

Like I said, not too worried about it and for $72 I can't really complain. Last night I free aired it for a bit with some sweeps and did some playing on music (lightly since it's not in a box). So far so good. Can't wait to get this thing in the box.

I'll try the hot glue thing (good thing I bought one recently). It just wasn't what I was expecting and threw me for a loop.

Archived