Second Skin Audio

Mayhem box and port question

jdjd

Been doing a little research on some different subs and stumbled on this forum. Getting ready to change out the system that I have now and try something different. Everything I read about AA subs seem great.Planning on just a single 15. Looking for a little help with how long to make the slot port in a 5 cf box {after woofer displacement}? I would like it tuned to 32hz. I have used several port calculators and I come up with different lengths and am confused on how long to make it. I have came up with 4" X 24" -- 4" X 26" -- 3" X 28" and a few others. These would be internal slot dimensions. Box is going in a crew cab Ford F250 pickup truck. It will be 30" tall and will have to be notched a few places to make it fit. The notched area will protrude into the box 5" and will have to have another irregular shaped side that will clear something else. But after the notched area, braces, and the woofer displacement it will have 5 cf. I realize the port will also reduce the internal area as well I have built several other boxes and just used whatever the brand of woofer suggested. Always worked out pretty good. On AA;s website I could not find any specific dimensions to use. It just said 3-5 cf and to use 12-16 inches of port area per 1 cf of volume for the Mayhem 15. Im mainly interested in SQ but like everyone else I want it loud also. I listen to mainly Metal type rock music, some country and a little rap. Could some of you guys who have some knowledge in this please help me out. If possible please suggest port lengths that will work for me. This will be powered by 2000 watts RMS. I already have 0 guage wire, two batteries and a good electrical setup plus a 300 amp Singer Alt. so it will be clean power. Thanks....

all box design programs will vary a little. i use three/four different port calculators and average them. because that is the real world just an average of all things. you can download Torres from here on the forum. i like RE Audio box designer also. there are a few off the internet i have saved in my favorites too. with the perimeters of 12-16 sq.in. of port area per cube i would stick to the lower end and mid size the box. it will have a tighter response. if you do 5 cu.ft. external enclosure and the port is roughly 15" deep (net tuning of roughly 31hz) your internal specs before sub displacement would be right at 4 cu.ft. dependent on the location of the port i would make it as square a possible.

The 5 cf dimension that I provided was a starting point for my box before figuring the port size that will take up some space. The box is kind of an irregular shape and hard to figure but I have determined that before the port it will be rght at 5 cf after allowing for bracing and woofer displacement. The box will be approx. 19 deepX16 wide X30 tall. Its made to fit in the floorboard between the front seats. I have moved my console up some to allow some more space to be had. It will take up the foot space in the middle of the back seat area and will overhang the rear seat a little to gain some extra volume. This is as big as I can squeeze in there and still have room for four passengers. I was planning on mounting the sub on the top and have the port exit up or toward the back seat. I have a box in there now and it seems to work pretty good, I am just wanting to try the Mayhem Driver as it seems to be highly rated. What do you actually mean by the port being 15" deep? Also would it matter where the port exited? Thanks...

Archived