Sundown Audio

Alpine PDX 1.1000???

Michael Dean

39 minutes ago, Chase Wallace said:

What is your budget for the new amp?

The Skar 2000.1D Seems to do rated and a little more at 14.4. I'm not someone with a huge budge to spend on big name brand amps so I can't really hate on an amp that does rated or more for a decent price.

This is the amp I have been looking at. The only thing I would be worried about would be the s/n is only 85db I know the higher the number the better the sound quality at higher volume would be. I have a custom ported box 3.2 cu f tuned @ 38HZ. These subs slam but at max my alpine only puts out 1150. So should i Stay or should I go LOL. I know the box or the subs are not the problem. The DB drive K6 subs are very well built and SQ is top notch. I'm not trying to shadder my windows but I do like to feel my chest get pounded buy theses subs. If you look at the skar SK amps they have 95 s/n but only options are 1500 and 2500

Here is the thing, it's not really a question of your box being right or your subs being good. I'm assuming the box is right and subs are good and hey you seem to like them so that's all good. The thing is we are talking about a very minimal increase in wattage over what you have if you step it up to 1500 watts rms. This small increase in wattage might net you a little bit of SPL that could be picked up on a meter but wouldn't really be enough for the human ear to tell the difference. Now stepping it up to 2000 rms should be enough for you to notice a slight increase but isn't just going to WOW you with the increased output. It will probably just be something noticeable enough for you to say you can tell tthat it actually is slightly louder without needing a meter to verify it. That's why notorious97200 is saying you will be wanting more and looking to upgrade the box and/or subs down the road. If you aren't satisfied with these now then just a tiny bit more output from more wattage probably isn't going to satisfy you in the long run...

But hey if you think you're pretty happy with the current setup and just a little more output from them would be enough to make you happy then maybe sell your current amp, hopefully get enough for it or more to buy the Skar 2000.1 and see if that makes you happy. If not, sadly I would probably look into selling the setup and stepping up to some bigger higher power handling subs if you have the space or just some higher power handling subs and an even more powerful amp if you don't have the space. If only space wasn't an issue and we could add more and larger subs xD

39 minutes ago, Chase Wallace said:

Here is the thing, it's not really a question of your box being right or your subs being good. I'm assuming the box is right and subs are good and hey you seem to like them so that's all good. The thing is we are talking about a very minimal increase in wattage over what you have if you step it up to 1500 watts rms. This small increase in wattage might net you a little bit of SPL that could be picked up on a meter but wouldn't really be enough for the human ear to tell the difference. Now stepping it up to 2000 rms should be enough for you to notice a slight increase but isn't just going to WOW you with the increased output. It will probably just be something noticeable enough for you to say you can tell tthat it actually is slightly louder without needing a meter to verify it. That's why notorious97200 is saying you will be wanting more and looking to upgrade the box and/or subs down the road. If you aren't satisfied with these now then just a tiny bit more output from more wattage probably isn't going to satisfy you in the long run...

But hey if you think you're pretty happy with the current setup and just a little more output from them would be enough to make you happy then maybe sell your current amp, hopefully get enough for it or more to buy the Skar 2000.1 and see if that makes you happy. If not, sadly I would probably look into selling the setup and stepping up to some bigger higher power handling subs if you have the space or just some higher power handling subs and an even more powerful amp if you don't have the space. If only space wasn't an issue and we could add more and larger subs xD

Thank you for putting the time in this reply. I definitely appreciate it. Well My box is the biggest I can fit in the space @ 3.2ft3 So only way to upgrade subs would be to find something that would match in airspace requirements. But in the end you all have answered my question as to not really a noticeable difference if I up grade the amp to an 2000rms amp. But if I can sell the PDX and get a 2000rms amp It will tell me 1 of two things that I am happy with the set up or I need to find a new one. Thanks again for all your help.

FS)36.46hz                      these are the spcts of the DB Drive k6 10
      (Qts.) 0.413
      (Qms)5.856
(VAS)22.703L
           (Xmax)0.61in
(Re)6.38Ω
(Pe)750/1600
(QES)0.444
  (Sens)85.815dB

No problem man. Just to be clear, at 2000 watts you should notice a slight difference. That difference just isn't going to be something huge. Its the difference between 1150 and 1500 watts that I don't think you would really notice without a meter. I think you will notice a difference if you put that Skar 2000.1 on them. I just don't think its going to be enough difference or increase in output to really satisfy you if you aren't already pretty happy with the setup but you should be able to tell a slight difference. 

With all that said, it seems you got the jest of it and you're right that a 2000 watt rms should tell you if you're going to be happy with this setup or need to upgrade. One thing to mention is that you could add another 2000 watt rms amp and run 4000 rms BUT you need some pretty serious electrical for that much wattage. That's about what I plan to run and it seems like the electrical upgrades might cost as much or more than my subs and amp combined. It seems this is where things really start getting expensive.

Archived