Sundown Audio

Alpine PDX 1.1000???

Michael Dean

Currently running the older alpine pdx 1.1000 Clamped at 1150watts. Running two db drive k 6 10 750 rms a piece. Is there a better amp out there? SQ is to notch and just had a ported box built at 3cf @ 38hz in my f250. The box slams and sounds great. My question is can I put more power to them or will they sound worse if I do?

Thanks

If given the choice, I'd run more power than rated than less. Clipping is much more likely when underdriving subs, if they're getting more power cleanly you're less likely to clip before you get into the mechanical limits of your subs.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

what amp would you suggest to power these subs they are 10d4 so 4ohm or 1ohm. I have then @ 4 ohm now becoust the pdx does not care what ohm load its at. I do have 0 gauge all the way back to 4 gauge and also tow batteries. The electronics are running off a optima yellow top. so I could do 1 ohm with no issues.

Please advise. Thanks

13 hours ago, Michael Dean said:

what amp would you suggest to power these subs they are 10d4 so 4ohm or 1ohm. I have then @ 4 ohm now becoust the pdx does not care what ohm load its at. I do have 0 gauge all the way back to 4 gauge and also tow batteries. The electronics are running off a optima yellow top. so I could do 1 ohm with no issues.

Please advise. Thanks

I just googled that amp and from what I read it is not 1 ohm stable. It's a nice amp and cool that it does the same wattage at 4 or 2 ohms but isn't rated to handle 1 ohm. Just thought I would throw that out there. I noticed where some people were running it at 1 ohm and having issues with it shutting off.

1. Find a 2nd pdx, and run each sub on its own amp(at 2 Ohms).
  2. Sell your Alpine, and get a single more powerful amplifier (1500 to 2000 w rms @ 1 Ohm). 

You will need some electrical upgrade: be careful ! big3, battery,...

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

4 minutes ago, notorious97200 said:
  1. Find a 2nd pdx, and run each sub on its own amp(at 2 Ohms).
  2. Sell your Alpine, and get a single more powerful amplifier (1500 to 2000 w rms @ 1 Ohm). 

You will need some electrical upgrade: be careful ! big3, battery,...

I have already upgrated to 0 gauge ofc and new yellow top battery. Alternator is a 220 amp. and my subs are duel 4 so 4 ohm or 1 ohm. I am seeking advice on a good 1ohm stable amp to power these subs. 750 rms per sub so need 1500watts or more. I have been looking at the skar amps?

I was just about to say if I read this wrong and you're really wanting more power and something that can handle 1 ohm then...well I would do what notorious97200 suggested. That Alpine amp you have seems like a real nice amp but when I googled it the only one I see for sale is close to 500$. You could get a real nice 1500-2000 w rms amp that will run at 1 ohm for much less than that so if they actually sell for nearly 500$ then I would sell it and get a more powerful amp. Honestly I don't think you would actually hear a difference with a 1500 watt amp "350 watts more" but something along the lines of 2000 watts would probably give you a little noticeable more output and help counter some box rise to actually give those subs their rated power after impedance rise. In the end though I don't think you're going to get a huge noticeable amount of output just from increasing the power over what you already have. Yes you will get an increase but I just don't know if it will be enough to satisfy you if you're really looking for a good boost in output even though I agree that I would rather have an amp rated for a little more than the RMS rating of the subwoofers. 

15 minutes ago, Michael Dean said:

I have already upgrated to 0 gauge ofc and new yellow top battery. Alternator is a 220 amp. and my subs are duel 4 so 4 ohm or 1 ohm. I am seeking advice on a good 1ohm stable amp to power these suWbs. 750 rms per sub so need 1500watts or more. I have been looking at the skar amps?

What is your budget for the new amp?

The Skar 2000.1D Seems to do rated and a little more at 14.4. I'm not someone with a huge budge to spend on big name brand amps so I can't really hate on an amp that does rated or more for a decent price.

You can run more power to them, but you will want more down the road ! Because the increase in output won't be huge.

Get ready for a new box and/or new subs. 

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

Archived