Second Skin Audio

13 W7 Bandpass Box

Daddy_

I need a design for a single 13 JL Audio W7 bandpass box. Not sure whats the best ratio for this. If anyone could chime in and design and give me a cutout

Car: 2012 Acura TL Elite

Head Unit: JL Audio Fix86

Front Stage : Alpine SPX-17PRO

Rear Stage : Alpine SPR-60C

Component Amp : JL Audio HD 600/4

Sub : 1 12" JL Audio W7

Sub Amp : JL Audio HD 1200

There's no magic ratio for a band pass enclosure.  A good place to start is for the sealed chamber. After some research some say good place to start is making sealed chamber to recommended specs for woofer, then whatever that resonant frequency of the sealed portion is, tune your ported section to that frequency. For example if your sub recommends one cubic foot sealed and that resonant frequency of that portion is 43 hz tune your ported section of your enclosure to 43 hz. But in the end it all depends what you want out of the design. Good sound quality, a one note wonder. And what your max demensions are for your enclosure. Height depth and width. I'm no expert but thought I'd chime in for once. 

I want loud but good quality. The sealed side need 1.875 and im not sure for the resonant frequency part. I have the link below. The ported part is recommended at 2.375

http://www.jlaudio.ca/13w7ae-d1-5-car-audio-w7ae-subwoofer-drivers-92116

Car: 2012 Acura TL Elite

Head Unit: JL Audio Fix86

Front Stage : Alpine SPX-17PRO

Rear Stage : Alpine SPR-60C

Component Amp : JL Audio HD 600/4

Sub : 1 12" JL Audio W7

Sub Amp : JL Audio HD 1200

there is a 143 page thread on caco about 4th's. i read it all and i dont know jack still.

basic rules you can follow.

1. build a sealed enclosure and play it in a very large room like a garage to find the resonate frequency of the box using a spectrum analyzer or a term lab

2. use that box in you vehicle and find the vehicle's resonate frequency and figure the difference between it and the box.

3. design your 4th with the sealed section tuned to the vehicle resonate and tune the ported side to somewhere around 55hz or something

4. port area is like half cone area maybe or maybe not

5. repeat steps 1 through 4 but change tuning of ported side and or port area until you are happy.

this is why i will never build a 4th

• 2 weeks later...

Your woofer likes 1.875 cubic ft sealed . The resonant  frequency of that box is 40.5 hz. Which is pretty low for a sealed box. So if you want to make the ported section of your band pass box tuned to around 41 hz or so you'd probably have pretty decent sound quality. How big your ported section of the band pass box depends on your available space. If you give me your max dimensions I'll try help you out

Archived