Jump to content

Old school rules but ya gotta love progress !!!


Recommended Posts

Posted

Well... I seem to have done it! Years ago, 1996-7, I had a 152 db system that was musical pretty much all the way to 150 db. I spent 512$ each on a couple of stroker 15d2's, $1000 on two audio art 100hc's to drive them. an Mtx 4300 to drive my podded RF power components the system was EQed/ X-Overed even had a  RF Symmetry and Mechman 175 ampre that I bought C.O.D. for $660 all in 1996 dollars... 

Call it a mid-life, boredom or possibly my true colors showing later in life, but I've been putting a little labor into my wife's 1997 Blazer and have had some astounding success. The result sounds pretty darn close to my previous car... and for a whole heck of a lot less!!! With some prior experience, word of mouth, A little online research and some informative reviews her Blazer is a beast!!!

 

It seems to me that car audio has gotten more affordable than I ever thought it would...

Simple Kenwood CD head, 1 set preouts... $80 + dash kit no antenna adapter...I really only use the flash drive anyways

1 set 4x6 Kickers in the dashboard $45

1 set 6 1/2 Kenwood coax in the front doors $40

Cache preamp/EQ $70

Lightning Audio Strike 400.2 $70

CAB 1600.1 $200

3e@ 12" RE audio SCX 12 D4 all parallel .67 load $100 ea.

All wire, blocks and terminales were under $100

then I added a $70 battery and Wow!

Who'd have thought in 1997 that you could attain these results for $1000 someday, it plays clean to 150 db and takes me at full retard for 4 minutes to heat up the subs and start to smell the coils a little they're a little underrated for the capabilities of a CAB 1600.1 at .67 ohm but I can play music enjoyably at 147-8 db all day long, the funniest part is I have it in a total sleeper 4 door Blazer and still have some cargo room for groceries. I remember a 12 ft3 enclosure, no trunk, hidden amps in a false seat and MDF panels on the doors and headliner area back in the day! What a money pit! I did all my own work and I had $4500 invested! Someday I will probably add a 250A alternator to her Blazer to see what happens...eventually since its a lot more affordable than it used to be. I fear that I am becoming a little DB mad, and I feel that the extra current from an upgraded alternator will probably result in 3-12" boat anchors and I'll have to upgrade at that point... Oh Well.  as I can get one for a lot less than $660 nowadays!!! 

Any ideas on upgraded Subs? I like the output at the load I'm currently using, the amp does not get hot, it just pulls a LOT of current!

Old school was and is cool ...

But ya gotta love progress!!! 

Maybe I will post pics but  it really is a sleeper.

Posted

Any user experience with Skar EVL-12 ...

RE SXX ...

DC Audio lvl 3 ...

I should not even push these to the max will I ?

They all have heavy enough coils, don't they ?

They'll all work in a 6 ft3 tuned to 34hz wont they ?

Which would work best? Price is a consideration, but I think I can swing it.

I am an experienced installer... IE..."hack,hack!" 

I just don't want to change enclosures and I don't know anyone who has these to demo for whatever that will be worth ...

I am looking for the best coils, durability and potential spl #'s if I add a second amp.

Thank you in advance

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1556 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...