Second Skin Audio

2 HDC3 15's or 3 12's?

Yucai

I am planning a build in my '06 GTI where the dimensions for the trunk are 39" across, 20" deep, and 18" tall (as tall as the seats), leaving me with about 6.7 cu ft before displacement. The plan was originally for HDC315's but im not sure if 3.3 cu ft will be enough for them. Would 3 12's be better for the space? I'm planning to tune to 34 Hz.

They will be running off of a pair of CT Sounds 1400.1d strapped, XS power d5100, and a Mechman Elite 370.

Thanks.

You have enough space for two 12"s.  By the time you account for sub, port, and double baffle displacement you are going to be well under 5.5 cu ft net.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

You have enough space for two 12"s.  By the time you account for sub, port, and double baffle displacement you are going to be well under 5.5 cu ft net.

I just measured for going up to the top of the headrests and got 23" tall. So the new number is 9.24 (with a double baffle) before displacement, that would suffice, right?

11 minutes ago, Yucai said:

I just measured for going up to the top of the headrests and got 23" tall. So the new number is 9.24 (with a double baffle) before displacement, that would suffice, right?

So 23" high x 39" wide x 20" deep will leave you with 8.33 cu ft gross assuming a double baffle on the top.  You can probably make two 15"s or three 12"s work with that.  My preference would be for two 15"s. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived