Absocold Posted June 6, 2017 Report Posted June 6, 2017 I have a QBomb12VL Single enclosure for a 12" sub. Specs are H:13.5" W:22" D:15", 1.85 cubic feet of airspace with a 16 square inch port, 10" of mounting depth. Tuning on this box varies depending on who you ask, but average is 42-45 hz (mine hits hard down to 37 hz and will play even lower). The sub/amp I currently have sounds great but isn't very loud. Lots of SQ, not much SPL. Since it's mounted in a huge vehicle, more slam is required. Lots more. So I'm here looking for recommendations. I know you usually pick a sub and buy/build a compatible box, but the space available is almost exactly the size of the box I have so I either need to keep the Qbomb or get a box the same size or even smaller. Since it's a big vehicle, power isn't a problem; four 1,000 cold cranking amp batteries and a high output alternator are installed. The goal is maximum SPL without giving up much if any SQ. Total budget for sub and amp (and box if necessary) is about $1,200 - less would be nice but I don't want to replace burnt junk every year. If you need a starting point I was eyeballing an Audio Legion AL2500.1D for the amp, but I don't have my heart set on it. So what sub/amp combo would you recommend? And *if* I need a different box (assuming it will fit in the space available), where do I get it? Thanks in advance!
Triticum Agricolam Posted June 6, 2017 Report Posted June 6, 2017 There are lots of sub/amp combos in that price range. Your biggest limitation is the box though. With only 16 sq in of port area its only going to be good for up to around 300 watts. If you put much more than that to it you are just wasting your money. Port compression is going to eat up all your output. I know you said you want to stick with that box, but a better box is the first thing I'd do before spending money on a higher power sub and amp. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Absocold Posted June 6, 2017 Author Report Posted June 6, 2017 Ok, groovy. That's solid info, thanks for the insight. So I need a box too. Preferably off the shelf as I've no interest in making a bad job of it myself and I imagine finding a talented and reputable builder, then getting a finished product to my door, might take a long time. Is there a good box that will fit in my space and pair well with a particular sub/amp that will achieve my goals of bass serenity? I'm not looking to knock small aircraft out of the sky but scaring the hell out of the neighbors would be nice.
Triticum Agricolam Posted June 6, 2017 Report Posted June 6, 2017 Where are you located? You may be able to find a builder locally that will be able to hook you up. There aren't really any prefab boxes I can recommend that are going to perform as well as a custom built enclosure will. As with many things, your performance will only be as good as your weakest link. Spending a couple hundred bucks to get an enclosure that is not your weak point would be money well spent, IMHO. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Absocold Posted June 6, 2017 Author Report Posted June 6, 2017 I'm in Jacksonville, FL. If a custom box is that inexpensive (and won't take terribly long) then sign me up. Hell, a lot of pre-fab boxes are near the two bills mark, I see no reason not to pay a premium for a custom job from someone that knows what's what. Actually, a good local(ish) stereo shop is apparently much needed too, since my usual place seems a little less experienced on the higher end, fine for the average system but once you ask for over 2k total watts they get a little lost. The other two big shops in Jax are a flat no, too many unhappy customers and I've heard some of their, um, work (if you listen *really* hard, you can almost hear the tinny tweeters over the bass - no mids though, mids are for sissies). So, anyone know of a good shop and/or builder anywhere around Jacksonville? I suppose if I have to I can outsource the enclosure and pay FedEx a ridiculous amount to ship it but I definitely need a good shop for installs.
SkarredSierra Posted June 6, 2017 Report Posted June 6, 2017 the admin audiofanaticz makes boxes. You could try pming him.
Absocold Posted June 6, 2017 Author Report Posted June 6, 2017 Uhhh, he's in Wisconsin. Really hoping to find someone more local to me. If not, I'll probably Google "best enclosure builder in the world" and then call the 50th person on the list, because that guy will have time for my little project. Then again, if I have to wait on a custom build, maybe I should just lose my mind and get something that's nice to look at too. Anyway, since I'm having to get a custom box, I guess we're back to where everyone starts: I have this much space and need a box/sub/amp recommendation. Well, looks like I have about 2.5 cubic feet of total space (H:13.5" W:22" D:15"), maybe 1.7-1.85 of airspace. Maximum SPL without sacrificing much SQ. I'm guessing I need a sub based on the available space and desired usage first, then enclosure, then any decent amp that fits the bill, right? Any ideas? Sound scientific advice? Wild assed guesses?
Triticum Agricolam Posted June 6, 2017 Report Posted June 6, 2017 Someone local to you would certainly be ideal, but the size of box you are wanted isn't bad to ship, so I would not be afraid of looking outside your local area. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Absocold Posted June 7, 2017 Author Report Posted June 7, 2017 Sundown Zv3 12? Dayton HO 12? Alpine R 12? I have no idea what I'm doing here, just throwing out ideas hoping someone will come rescue me from my ignorance and help a nub out.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.