Got A Question About Dry Cells

How do I test them to see if they are good? I know you can't just throw them on a standard battery tester and expect an accurate reading. I have 3 now and I'm not sure if any of them are any good

Can they go bad??

--Sampson cool.gif

816-591-6592

www.kcrimshop.com

How do I test them to see if they are good? I know you can't just throw them on a standard battery tester and expect an accurate reading. I have 3 now and I'm not sure if any of them are any good

Can they go bad??

What sort of "dry cell" are you talking about? Is this a battery like an Optima, or Kinetik? Or do you mean something else?

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Optimas.

blue tops if that matters

Optima makes two very different types of Blue Top batteries. One is a deep cycle, and the other is a cranking battery. They have different charging and testing requirements.

Do you have a 34M, D34M or D31M Optima Blue top?

Once you know what you have, it must be fully charged for testing.

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

its a deep cycle. how should i test it?

Charge it fully. This means 6 to 12 hours on a battery charger that operates at a minimum of 13.8 volts and a maximum of 15.0 volts, with a current limit of 10 amps. If you are using an adjustable voltage power supply, set it for 14.7 volts and let it run for 24 hours.

They must be charged before load testing.

Once the battery is fully charged it may be tested on a standard load tester at the following current specs:

D34M 870 cranking amps @ 32F

D31M 1125 cranking amps @ 32f

Follow the directions on the Battery load tester for a battery of that capacity rating. If you have a 500 amp load bank you have a big enough tester to load test a battery like that. A commercial tester will have a setting chart for battery cranking amps.

Do not bother trying to test a battery like that on a 50 amp chink tester from Harbor Freight. If a high capacity battery like that shows a measurable voltage drop @ 50 amps, it was a doorstop years ago.

'Link

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

Archived