Second Skin Audio

Check numbers please?

Bonka

I'm trying to keep the box at this size so I actually have some of my trunk to use unlike my last car and build. What would you suggest? I also did not take in to account the amp being fused at 60amps cutting its output. It supposedly does 1100 at 1ohm but those are just specs.

its probably fine. its not optimal but its way better than prefab. Might add some bracing, like 1" dowels from the baffle to the back. Thats a fairly large surface for that sub. I usually double baffle. but then you would have to recalculate everything.

I recalculated for a 2.25" port slot and 32" port length and came up with 1.85 ft^3 at 34hz with 29.25 in^2 port area. Hopefully I didn't mess anything up there. I think this may be the way to go.

Edit: doh. off by .25" internally so have to recalculate all this.

I'm kinda in the same position as you. I need a bunch of my trunk space too. My SSA ICON 12 just shit the bed... AZ HEAT i think. Anyways, I'm getting a nice PSI recone for my icon and a high excursion 15 passive radiator from them. PSI describes it best - Our passive radiators offer a solution for small space and low tuned applications where a ported (vented) enclosure would be optimum, but where space does not allow for the use of a properly sized port opening or port length. Our radiators offer the user the ability to tune their enclosure lower than conventional ported enclosures normally allow for, in less space. To say it simply, A passive radiator takes the place of a port when there’s not enough room for one. If available space is lacking, but you are not willing to give up output or sound quality, a passive radiator may be the perfect option. Passive radiators are recommended to be used as a replacement for a port. You should generally use about the same or slightly less enclosure volume with a PR that you would with a port. PR’s can be used to achieve a low tuning in a moderate or small sized enclosure by adding weight to the rear. The more weight that you add, the lower tuning that you’ll achieve. The only limitation will be the upper tuning frequency. Depending on the size of the PR and the internal volume of the enclosure, there will be a maximum tuning frequency limit. For help with this, please contact us directly.

I'm guessing that the normal 15in pr will work just fine with the sa12. I used WINisd to model between my old sealed box, a vented box that could possibly be shoved in ma trunk, and a pr box that has a lot mor 20-30hz output and is less peaky. I love them lows, and if I wanna tune it lower, I just need to add more weight to the pr - I modeled the pr and found I like 550 grams extra mass to the cone. Take a couple hours and mess with this software imo. Can be a little tricky, but helped me decide what I wanna do. You can also model 2 12 in passives, see how they would do with the sa12. 

https://psicaraudio.com/product/15-passive-radiator/59502c7254ce7_prandsealedandportedboxgraph.thumb.png.f796c5c45b694bc2f2b866abb699f21e.png

Archived