Second Skin Audio

Mystery with Subs

Subs were originally tuned with DD1 3 years ago. No changes to the system have been made recently. It all started when yesterday while coming to a stop at a red light my headunit turned off on its own. I pulled over and turned off my car and turned it back on and all was fine again. (this has never happened before) Today subs played fine. After I got off work I turned my car on and immediately my left sub was making popping noises while the other one was playing fine. I turned off my subs from the headunit. When I got home I read the ohms and both were reading  correct but then they both started playing extremely low and were even missing bass notes. I then turned it off and then back off. Now they both stopped playing- I reread them and they were now both blown.. when I pushed the cones they were squishy and the ohms was jumping super high when pressing the cones. I took them both out and the connection were good. Im super confused on what might have caused this all of a sudden. Specs below:

subs: 2 - 10" JL 10w3v3-4 wired to 2ohms

box: custom ported box tuned and made to spec for subs

amp: JL HD750/1

two batteries: red top optima for main and xs power as secondary

have big 3..

pioneer headunit

Yeah pushing them in while reading was definitely a brain fart on my end. They both read perfectly at 4 ohms stable. There must be either a shorted wire behind the headunit or bad rca cables. I just dont know how to check for bad RCAs. I going to pull my headunit tomorrow and check for shorts. What I meant by 3 years is the wiring has never been altered. I usually redo my gain with DD1 like every 6 months because sometimes it moves a little. And I had the 2nd battery and big 3 added like a year ago. I have a lifetime warranty on the install work - so I might bring it in for them to rerun new rca's if I cannot figure it out. Recently my door speakers have intermittently been giving lower volume on all but one speaker as well. I would usually have to unplug or spin the rcas on the amp and then cycle the power to get the sound back at full volume. 

Archived