Infiniti i30t work in progress

This is all in my 2k i30t.  It had the factory Blose system in there and it had perhaps 100 watts rms total output from all speakers combined...sounded like crap, but had enough bass to help me remember how much fun I had doing car audio years ago.  I had worked for MTX / Xtant making amplifiers and later on I sold home and car audio gear at Ultimate Electronics (and also at Fry's Electronics, but Fry's only sold horseshit so I am kind of embarrassed to even mention it).  The last car that I had with cool gear in it was an '86 Toyota MR2, with all Xtant and MTX gear..one 10" Xtant 4 ohm DVC powered by an Xtant X603 with some MTX thunder 6.5" components, woofer in the door and tweets in the dash.  Sounded awesome in the tiny cabin of the MR2.  I miss that car...was so much fun to drive!

Anywhoo...that was 15 or so years ago...

Now I have this beautiful, and paid for, 2k Infiniti...and I just had to get this thing booming!...on a budget, cus this fool is broke!  :)  I researched the utubez and the amazonz and the googlez to try to find the best value stuff that also had the most positive reviews and comments...and also watched a bunch of youtube vids from BigDWiz and Ryan Blankenship and Steve Meade to see what amps did what and how much power they really delivered.  I decided that what would work best for me right now was a Rockville RXD-F5, 5 channel amp.  The price was right, had the kind of performance that would (hopefully) deliver what I had in mind, and didn't look like a flea market piece of hoopdie.  I also went with a single 12" 4 ohm DVC Rockville K6 sub because it looked like it would be the best boom for the buck...only $70.  (This sub is killer for that low price...fuckin killer deal!) Put that sub in a run-of-the-mill $40 vented box...sounds great! (for now). I had also bought a pair of 6.5 Rockville components for like $40, hoping the value of those were on par with the subwoofer...but it didn't turn out that way.  Those components were OK for the price, but couldn't keep up with the sub. I had been going to a local car audio wholesaler here in Phoenix, called Rabadi and Sons, and they had a stack of backstock gear from a previous business of theirs called 'Niche Audio'.  In that stack were some 5.25" components...and these were killer speakers!  For $50 a pair too!  A killer deal!  I put them in the woofers in the back doors with the tweeters on the rear deck...and they totally overpowered the front Rockville 6.5s...the Niche Audio were way, way better!  So, I bought another pair of them, made some adapter plates to fit 6.5" holes in the front doors...and now it all sounds killer!  Low cost badassedness!

I only had X amount of money to spend, and I know full well that the cabling and install method can make or break a system...so I didn't skimp on that.  I have been bolstering the electrical system as much as I can, because I am only working with a 120a alternator and in the Phoenix heat...which will soon be a hellish 120' f.  I am adding some pics here of the electrical system boosts I have added.

New battery terminals.  0 gauge to a 4 line fused distro block...1x 4 gauge cable to the alternator, fused at 150a. 1x 4 gauge cable to the trunk to a XS 600 amp small battery, fused at the distro block and also right before the 2nd battery itself.  4 gauge from the 2nd battery to a fuse holder with 120a then to the amplifier.  I also added an additional 4 gauge ground-to-chassis to supplement the factory 4 gauge(ish) ground strap.  I might bump those up to 0 gauge in the future.

Here are some pics... Exciting right?

car2.jpg

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

The small battery sits in the frame that used to hold the factory Clarion branded 6 disc changer that didn't work.  I don't have enough CDs to have filled it anyway so threw that crap away.  The battery fits perfectly in there!

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

I am going to do more stuff to the car too.  Going to try to make some sort of panel to secure the stuff in the trunk and make it look nice and clean too.  I am thinking about adding another 12" sub and adding a monoblock amp to power the two of them.  The sub channel on the 5 channel amp, I am thinking about using that 500 CEA wattage to power a pair of 8" woofers that I will make fiberglass kickpanels for.  I like that idea of strong mid-to-sub bass coming from the front, to offset the big bass from the (perhaps 2) subs in back.

I need to plan this all out so it may be a little while before I update this thread.  Cheers!

Assembled main battery and distro block pic here.  Not that exciting, and I didn't want to put my cats in there (the interwebz loves cats, right?) cus I didn't want to fry them!

car9.jpg

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Also, I had watched some utube vids on how some cheap folks tried to use roofing material to sound-proof their cars...and some said they had good results...so I tried some of it on the rear deck and in the trunk...that cheap crap sucks.  That shit won't stay put when vertical or upside down...so don't use it!  It worked OK for the spare tire well and some of the other trunk areas, but still not worth it.  I bought some Noico stuff which should arrive today, and I will be doing the doors and rear deck with it and whatever I have left over will probably just be added to the trunk.  Even though the Infiniti is a well-built car, that sub hits hard enough to send stuff a rattlin'...gotta get those rattles out!

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Got the sound deadener... It was Kilmat branded rather than Noico....but the same product.  I guess I had Noico in the shopping cart but it went up in price so I chose the Kilmat instead.

There were 34 sheets in the box, and the box was pretty heavy.  Maybe 15 pounds?  It took about 4 sheets for each of the front doors...so I have 26 sheets left.  A whole lot of material for the $55 I paid for it.  A great deal!  Just what I like!  The stuff went on much better than that shitty arse roofing crap, and I think it will stay put too.

I am sure some of you are much better at putting this crap on doors, but I think my low-brow approach is just fine.  It shut that rattling shit up good!

The driver door...

car kilmat 1.jpg

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Been looking at that kilmat on ebay. Probly gonna pull the trigger on some 80 mil in a month or so. Wat do you think of it? Does it adhere good? Hopefully it stays on good during the summer. That was my biggest concern with it.

Archived