Infiniti i30t work in progress

4 hours ago, Karkov said:

watch some amp dyno's of them...or read about the fires they start....or the 2 months they last............

Car fires...umm, no thanx.  been there done that...not fun!  In a hurry to get to work in my last vehicle, an old beater Cherokee, I jerry-rigged a brake light switch to the pedal and that shit shorted out and caught fire while I was driving that piece of shit out of the driveway.  Fortunately, I caught it in time and yanked the whole crap out of the car and prevented it all from burning that piece of shit truck to the ground.  Scared the holy hell out of me....

I am sure hoping this Soundqubed gear doesn't blow up on me.  The Magic 8 Ball says it is just fine but....

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Currently, I am redoing the appearance of the whole trunk, including rebuilding the false-floor to include an access door to the amps and stuff in the spare wheel well.  Planning out lighting too... It is going to be farkin awesome! ...but a lot folks are going to hate it cus it isn't their style....and that is OK.  I love it already and it is going to totally fukin rule!

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Oh shit that fabric. Lol. My wife would love that shit. Looks like it turned out good. Now its time to seal that up from the bak with subs forward. Youll increase output alot doin that.

I was thinking of doing that, bringing the box forward and sealing around it.  I need to do some more work to the rear deck though cus the box is a little too tall to fit under it still.

What do folks use to block up the gaps?

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Trim panels and expanda foam. If u wanna keep it somewat removable u can use plastic bags and fill them with foam inside the gaps. Just make sure you secure the box down so it dont move.

My next additions...being inspected by my cats.  They love wire and absolutely must get their grills all up in it.

UV LED strip lights which should really set off the sugar skulls, a light bar with a switch, 15a mini ANL fuses, and I have a relay to turn on the UV LEDs and amps at the same time.

lightscats.jpg

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Bumped speaker wire up to 8ga from 14ga and put some easy to deal with banana plugs on them.  Ran them through the floor to the amp instead of around the floor which was a lot longer run.  The devil is in the details.

Also, fixed the rear deck clearance issues so I could push the box further forward and it is now as far forward as it can go without hacking the car frame up.  I may try bundling some towels and filling in the gaps to see how sealing it up may be better.  I don't want to do anything that will prevent removal of the box though, other than removing the security screws that will hold it in there.  Fortunately I measured like 50 times to make sure it would all fit together and allow access into the spare tire well where the amps and stuff are...the door hinges are exactly where I tried to put them.  It is still a usable trunk too!

Next stuff on the list is putting some wrap on the hood and the spoiler, which are currently oxidized.  I might plastidip the wheels too, to fit into the color scheme of the wrap vs the paint.  Black carbon fiber-look wrap, which I know is played out and kind of ghey...but I used to make helicopters out of the real CF and kevlar and glass so I have an affinity for the stuff.  I was tempted to just make a CF hood for it, but that would have been too much money and work and I don't want to deal with that right now.  Going to wrap some of the interior trim with the CF wrap too, because the factory wood-look stuff boiled in the heat and looks like crap and the gray base plastic is boring.

t1.jpg
t2.jpg
t3.jpg
t4.jpg

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Most folks know that it gets farkin HOT in Phoenix Arizona.  Like, really, really farkin HOT!  (107f yesterday..  ? )

I knew that it would become a problem before doing it, but the amplifiers in the spare wheel well don't get any air circulation so they just get hot...and the mono amp went into protect mode for the first time a couple days ago.  I was pounding the goods pretty hard though, stretching this stuff out a bit. 

To address this issue, so I can keep banging out the jams throughout the summer, which is only going to get hotter, I am putting in some fans into the false floor to blow some less hot air on to the amplifers.  Hopefully it will be enough so that the shit doesn't blow up and me with it...

A pair of 120mm fans with LED lights around the perimeter, a 12vdc fan controller and some grills so that nobody loses a finger when the fans are running.

control.jpg
fans_control1.jpg
grill.jpg

Total cost, under $30.  The fan stuff for PCs is all 12vdc so you have a billion choices to hook up your stuff how you like!

Orion XTR amplifiers

Skar subs

Archived