Second Skin Audio

Help on wall ideas and designs "4 18s in Jeep GC"

SpydreX

Actually I did not do my research on if they would work if I am being honest. This whole bandpass idea sprung up because of my original idea of just doing a ported box. When I realized I wouldn't have the port area for a flat wall i immediatly started thinking about BP designs forgetting to check if they would even be compatible but I am glad you checked and that they will work.

Would it be possible to maybe turn that sealed section into a ported section thats vented into the other chamber essentially creating a series tuned 6th order BP that I could adjust the tuning on? It might end up being smaller in the end due to having to compensate for the port but at least I could tune both chambers and try and get the most output possible. Might end up working better than the 4th but this is just me coming up with ideas not from any actual expierence perspective. 

Oh yeah I got the images embeded on my earlier posts

I don't mess with 6th orders, nor will I design one. The amount of time involved to get one right is where the bulk of your time will be spent. It's probably possible, but you'll need to contact a designer who can run the math for you with your given dimensions. What I'll tell you is that having 2 ported chambers opens you up to a lot more possible adjustments you'll need to make. Having a sealed chamber in a 4th helps limit that a bit. If your heart is set in a 6th just be prepared to need to make the necessary adjustments to get it dialed. Good luck with the build and make sure you've got the electrical to support that power you want to run. 

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Well you have given me a lot of useful information and food for thought. I wanted to eventually learn how to do a 6th order and the math behind it one day but now is better than ever while I am still saving money for the rest of the system. I love tinkering and trying new things so the idea of a lot of adjustments that can be made intrigue me because I can do so much with it. If I want to do high numbers one day or if i want to just hit those monster lows i can swap out the ports. 

Oh and yeah my electrical is already mostly upgraded but i do have more plans for that. I got in touch with Rob the owner of the demo bus when i went to the Sundown Audio Show and he told me he could build me a triple alt bracket when he gets the chance which will definitely help in the long run for charging the bank I am putting in the back. If i get enough money i also plan to put lithium in as well.

Before you go do you know of any place on the internet to point me in the right direction for learning the math myself? Suprised I haven't found more information yet on 6th orders, specifically series tuned. Or if not a forum post, website, or article then anybody that comes to mind who likes to dabble with 6th order designs willing to share his or her secrets?

Found this site which seems to be pretty informative just wish it had more options on the chart avalible as my driver goes off the chart in terms of theiele small parameters: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/bnd/6thord1.htm

A couple members of here might be willing to help with design. Triticum Agricolum or JoeX. Other than that, you could try reading the Loudspeaker Cookbook by Vance Dickason(basically my bible when I learned). A lot of it is trial and error in the real world though. Get yourself a game plan and pay attention to port area and tuning of your chambers to get the response you're looking for. I personally do not think you have the proper airspace for either a 4th or a 6th based on what you said your gross dimensions are. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I will read up on them. Once I eventually can work with some calculations and perhaps model up a few boxes in software i can see where i stand with my space requirements. If it turns out i end up not having the airspace required for 4 18s then i will start working with the idea of putting in 6 15s instead. The good side is its actually more cone area, bad news is my wallet isn't going to be very happy and it will delay the final build a little bit.  

Go with 4 15s then. I can tell you this, 4 Team 15s should be PLENTY brutal and nasty. If somehow that's not enough, buy 2 more later down the line and do a new enclosure. They are some very good sounding subs man, do a flat wall with 4 of them or do a 4th/6th. You have the room for any of those options. 

I know 4 will be enough but I really like the idea of 1000+ sqin of cone area. I am starting to get attached to the idea of 6 15s in a 4th order as I know I have enough room. Still unsure about the 6th order but I should be making a progress build post on here for everyone to see sooner or later. 

Actually.. Hmm I feel like a vertical clam shell would come in great for this application. I could most likely get quite a bit more port if I did that.

Thanks for the tip, will keep in mind. One thing I was wondering about was the tuning. If you see in my earlier photo I have a slope so when I build my clam shell is there anyway to account for the tuning or will it just be trial and error? I've read where its best to tune a little higher in general with clams because the area in front of the port acts almost like an extension lowering the tuning a bit. I will be buying a TL so maybe i can measure this and come up with a removable bolt in slot port to change the tuning as needed for demos/comp.

Archived