Second Skin Audio

Sub wiring

rolltide0323

I’m looking at doing a low budget build and I am looking at going with 9 10” subs. The subs are .35 ohm svc. Can I get a 2 ohm load from wiring all of these together?  I think wiring 3 will get me a 1 ohm load, so would 6 subs get me a 2 ohm load? By that thinking 9 subs would get me 3 ohms. Is this correct?  Thanks. 

3 subs in series is a ~1 ohm load yes.  if you took each group of 3 subs, and wired each group in series, it should present ~3 ohms at the amp.  depending on the rms of each sub, you could likely find a stout 2 ohm stable amp that makes good power at 4 ohms and figure you'd land somewhere between there getting delivered to your subs

if you took each group of 3 subs @ 1 ohm and wired the 3 groups in parallel you'd end up with ~0.3 ohm (which after rise and beefy ass electrical, could work out for a solid 0.5 ohm stable amp)

that's gonna be a nightmare of wiring.

what subs have a 0.35 SVC? 

personally?  to make it easier on my brain, i'd ditch one of the subs.  wire each bank of 4 subs in series for 1.4 ohms per bank, then wire the 2 banks together in parallel for a final load of 0.7 ohm.  which is way more reasonable to ask of most well built, 1 ohm stable amps.

dont make this too tough on yourself, chances are you wont gain anything by adding that 9th sub.  but you will make it harder on your amp, electrical, vehicle by wiring to 0.3, and (depending on the rms rating of the subs) it may be tough to find a strong enough amp to push them at 3 ohms.

just my $0.02, you do you booboo

Archived