Second Skin Audio

LAB Slap Box SA-12

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with LAB Slap Boxes? I am thinking about getting one for my Sundown SA-12. They make one that is designed for the Sa-12. I listen to a variety of music but predominantly metal. I like my bass to be tight and punchy so I have always gravitated toward sealed enclosures. I am wanting to try ported now for some extra "umph", but I am nervous about losing that responsiveness with metal. I do not want to end up with muddiness or boominess during the quick "rapid fire" bass kicks. Some guidance would be very appreciated. I just don't want to spend the money and not be happy. 

Here is the link for the box:

http://www.lifeafterbass.com/labsl2ftpomd36.html

How much power are you going to be running?

You can get good tight bass out of a quality sub in a ported box, you just need to have the right box specs (usually this means a box with smaller net volume and lower tuning).  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

6 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

How much power are you going to be running?

You can get good tight bass out of a quality sub in a ported box, you just need to have the right box specs (usually this means a box with smaller net volume and lower tuning).  

I'm running 1,200 watts to it. My amp is an Alpine M12.

The LAB box is tuned at 33 hz and is 2.00 cu. ft.

2 minutes ago, melton723 said:

I'm running 1,200 watts to it. My amp is an Alpine M12.

The LAB box is tuned at 33 hz and is 2.00 cu. ft.

So if it were me, I'd probably pass on the Slap-box. 

Its close but just not quite there for what you want to do.  Its tuned a little bit too high (28-30 Hz would be better).  It could be a bit smaller (1.5 - 1.75 cu ft), and it needs a bit more port area (35 - 40 sq in) for the amount of power you will be running.  

In the end, it wouldn't be a bad choice and would probably have acceptable performance.  Its just a bit short of what it could be if the specs were a bit different.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

12 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

So if it were me, I'd probably pass on the Slap-box. 

Its close but just not quite there for what you want to do.  Its tuned a little bit too high (28-30 Hz would be better).  It could be a bit smaller (1.5 - 1.75 cu ft), and it needs a bit more port area (35 - 40 sq in) for the amount of power you will be running.  

In the end, it wouldn't be a bad choice and would probably have acceptable performance.  Its just a bit short of what it could be if the specs were a bit different.  

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

Archived