today my friend called me to look at her stereo system because her amp had stopped working. When she showed up she told me that she thought the amp was out. I looked it over and it looked fine i told her to turn the stereo on and neither the power or protect light was on. I looked under the hood to check her fuse on the power wire and right around the wire coming off the fuse headed toward the amp the wire was starting to melt to the plastic on the fuse holder. I figured its just because she might be running to small of wire but i wasnt sure so i thought i would ask you guys and see what you all thought. any input would really help.

Its 8 gague wire running to a 1000 watt amp with i think 2 25amp fuses not sure of the name brand the fuse on the power wire is a glass fuse maybe a 60amp fuse not sure i didnt look it over close because i was on break at work but will try to find out more tommorow. Thanks for the help

• 2 weeks later...

if its only got 2 25 amp fuses it is not a true thousand watts. You should have been fine with a 60 amp fuse up front. Look and see if the wire is touching something that gets hot. If not i would step up to a 8awg wire to be safe.

94 lincoln mark viii

h/u: kenwood kvt 614 Excelon

comps: alpine type x

amps: mtx 1501d mtx 4004

sub:2 DC lv4 12

wiring jl audio 0awg 8 awg sub

jl audio 4 awg for mid and highs amp

myspace.com/kylecm85

carstereolexington.com

if this helps, I have 8 gauge inside my sub box wiring my subwoofer and from the sub to the amp is also 8gauge.

But 8 gauge for power wire to a 1kwatt amp is really pushing it.

Did you ever get around to replacing it with 4gauge?

big shit u use 8awg for subs and so does 100000 more ppl.

if that was a tru 1000watt amp the fuse would have popped from the current draw. but as 50amps is not 1000watts more like 600.

get u some 4awg at the min and dont put in a bigger fuse if there is sumthing up with that amp it will make it worse.

now go be a hero and fix her sowndz!!!

Archived