Second Skin Audio

2 Sundown U10’s for sealed enclosure

tonksie93

I currently have 2 sundown SD3-10’s in separate 0.5cuft sealed enclosures. I am powering them with a ground zero gzna 1.2500dxii so when i start to turn it up the subs bottom out as there only rated for 500 watts each.

I quite like the look of the sundown U10, as they are rated for 1500 watts and have a high xmax of 30mm one way, which i understand is important for a sealed enclosure?

Would a pair of U10’s be a good upgrade or is there anything else i should look at in the same price bracket?

While the U-10s could take the power without reaching Xmax, they are actually going to have less output since they are more intended for a ported enclosure.  To come out ahead of your current SD3-10s you are going to have to increase your amp power a lot.  

My suggestion would be to look at something like a Fi X10.  Even better yet, call up Fi and tell them what you want to do.  They can custom tweak some subs to work best for sealed applications.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

While the U-10s could take the power without reaching Xmax, they are actually going to have less output since they are more intended for a ported enclosure.  To come out ahead of your current SD3-10s you are going to have to increase your amp power a lot.  

My suggestion would be to look at something like a Fi X10.  Even better yet, call up Fi and tell them what you want to do.  They can custom tweak some subs to work best for sealed applications.  

Thanks for the reply, yeah i wasn’t sure how they would work in a sealed enclosure. Out of curiosity, why would they have less output than the SD3-10? Do they have a lower sensitivity?

I’m pretty sure my SD3-10’s bottom out well before my amps maximum power. I plan to upgrade my subs first to utilise all of my amps power, then if my amp starts clipping before a desired SPL i will upgrade the amp too.

The reduced output comes from the U-series having a much stiffer suspension, which is great for high power ported applications,  not so good for sealed. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived