just bought 8 of these and put them in my k5, only running 1000watts though. need to upgrade a wee bit :]

anndddd, i need a shit ton of second skin or something.

84 K5 Blazer

3" body, 2" Suspension

35" Maxxis Bighorn

100amp Alt

Marine deep cycle for the amps (freebie)

KnuKonceptz 1/0

8 Hifonics HFi 12D4's in ~19cubes tuned to 35hz

Audiopipe AP-18001D

RF 5x8's in the kicks

Almani 5.25 comp. in back

Kenwood KAC-645

--IN THE FUTURE--

None.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM:name=Decaf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Decaf @ Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->we seriously need some butt plugs so you guys stop spewing chit talk<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

K5 = Blazer?? Yeah, I could see those needing a lot of deadener. I used 3 layers of edead and some ensolite in the PT. Good luck with your 8 12"s, and post up a build log with some pics when you are ready!

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

• 4 weeks later...
oo cary i c ur still goin strong been a while since ive posted but lookin good man take it easy ttyl

Thanks man! Nothing really to new with the PT stereo. I had one side of the 4 channel amp start to cause problems, so I replaced it with 2 left over Crunch 225 rms x2 amps, one for the front and one for the rear. Ordered some Audiopipe 3-way crossovers to replace my JL Audio midbass and Hifonics passive crossovers up front.

I also got around to powering up the kick panels with the MBQuart components, but not the door pods yet, still gotta wire the doors and don't really have anthing left to power them with anyway.

I need 10 channels of amplification to run my mids and highs, and have my eyes on an MBQuart 6 channel and 4 channel amps, hopefully in a few more months.

Once I get a second car later this year for a daily driver, I hope to pull the front interior out and re-wire everything with the new amps, and build some kinda amp/battery rack that looks better, and the wall will be getting some fake leather, maybe just an overlay panel like the Hoopty, not sure yet. Then I want to get a custom PTeazer front end and custom paint job in the next couple of years.

Right now just enjoying the PT, still a daily driver, and still get to do a few demos once in a while.

2010_01232008Feb0007.jpg

2010_01232008Feb0004.jpg

2010_01232008Feb0002.jpg

2010_01232008Feb0034.jpg

2010_01232008Feb0021.jpg

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

yea thats alot of channels for high..but i bet it sounds so good...an as far as me iam about to put up all the stuff from my build . i ended up only using 6 12's on the 81001...i got a jl 6 channel for my highs...an the blazer is gone i got a mercedes ml320 an right now iam waiting on wiring....

yea thats alot of channels for high..but i bet it sounds so good...an as far as me iam about to put up all the stuff from my build . i ended up only using 6 12's on the 81001...i got a jl 6 channel for my highs...an the blazer is gone i got a mercedes ml320 an right now iam waiting on wiring....

6 12"s in a Mercedes sounds like a nice project!

I just ordered 2 Eclipse 4 channel amps for all my mids and highs, a new Eclipse double din headunit, and Selenium 8", 6" and 1" for the new door panels, the crossovers will be Audiopipe 3 way passive for the doors. They will replace the JL Audio and Crunch passive combo that I have in there now.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

6 12"s in a Mercedes sounds like a nice project!

I just ordered 2 Eclipse 4 channel amps for all my mids and highs, I will have to wire some of the fronts to 8 ohms, but that will help with SQ anyway, while I am at it, I have some new Audiopipe 3 way passive crossovers to try out up front to. They will replace the JL Audio and Crunch passive combo that I have in there now. I thought I needed a new Kinetik battery, but all seems ok now, resting voltage is back up.

sounds like ur highs r gonna get really loud....im thinkin about switchin to 2 18's...but not done with the hifonics subs yet....

• 3 weeks later...
K5 = Blazer?? Yeah, I could see those needing a lot of deadener. I used 3 layers of edead and some ensolite in the PT. Good luck with your 8 12"s, and post up a build log with some pics when you are ready!

Haha. I didnt take any pictures. And I do everything by myself and i like to get stuff done, so i always forget to take pictures. But i'd love to hear the pt some day, i live right around the corner. ^_^

84 K5 Blazer

3" body, 2" Suspension

35" Maxxis Bighorn

100amp Alt

Marine deep cycle for the amps (freebie)

KnuKonceptz 1/0

8 Hifonics HFi 12D4's in ~19cubes tuned to 35hz

Audiopipe AP-18001D

RF 5x8's in the kicks

Almani 5.25 comp. in back

Kenwood KAC-645

--IN THE FUTURE--

None.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM:name=Decaf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Decaf @ Feb 3 2010, 09:12 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->we seriously need some butt plugs so you guys stop spewing chit talk<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wish I could hear this thing in person. It sounds crystal clear now.... it promises to sound even better when you get your new swag in there! :)

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Some PT progress!

Thanks to all you PT fans out there, it means a lot to me that there are people that have looked beyond the "how loud is it?" question.

I have been really happy with everything, but discovered that mixing the 4 ohm Mb Quart components with the 8-ohm Seleniums was making it rather difficult to maintain a decent front stage. I also started thinking that my doors need to be able to keep up visually with the impact of seeing the wall in the back. 3-way is all I really need in doors, I am very pleased with the sound of my a-pillars and center channel.

So I spent last month researching and reading all your posts here on SMD about mids and highs and I decided on Selenium for the doors. I ordered two 8"s, two 6"s and two 1" tweeters. They are all 8 ohm, so I might not be able to use the Audiopipe 4 ohm crossovers, I think I read that the impedence difference affects the crossover points (???).

I have always wanted double din, and have already experimented with two screens in the PT and portable nav, it was past due time to just get an all in one head unit with everything, so with Sonic having a sale on last years Eclipse AVN62D for $539, I ordered one.

I had lost one side of the original 4 channel Crunch amp that was powering all mids and highs except the center channel, and have been temporarily been using my two old Crunch two channel amps to run all the mids and highs. Trust me when I say that 900 watts rms to the mids and highs is not a bad thing at all! No problems from any of the speakers at all, but really I don't need that much power to them. So I ordered two Eclipse 60x4 amps for all my mids and highs.

For those who saw my electrical section posts (thanks for the advice), I lost my front Kinetik 1400, it will not hold a charge under load anymore. A new Optima redtop is now under the hood and all is well. It fits better and if it has any problems, I can replace it at pepboys no problem. I still have the two 600s in the back.

And there will be no changes with the sub amp AQ2200D.

A 2001-2005 PT will dash will not accept a double din, there is metal and plastic to be removed inside the dash and you have to re-do the front panel to make it all look good. I used a 2007 GM/Chevy Tahoe kit and a Metra harness to get the AVN62D mounted. The dash face is ongoing, should be done and painted in another week, depends on weather. The cardboard "trim" will get resin, epoxy filler, and sanded/painted over so it appears like all one piece. It will be a matte/bedliner finish not gloss, probably won't be white anymore. Still have a few issues with the depth of the Metra kit and the dash face, but some washers will space it perfectly.

Doors are kinda on hold, I have the extra panels and all the speakers, but my Dad is just out of the Hospital so I am spending time driving back and forth to see him. My buddy that is a fiberglass guy is doing 3-ways in his PT, so we plan to work on door panels together.

I still have a lot of re-wiring to do. Everything was functional before with no problems, but it's gotta look a lot better this time around.

Here are some pics! I will add some more next week when I make some progress on the dash, I just wanted to get the head unit in so I could play with all its gadgets while I work on the rest!

2010_02262008Feb0001.jpg

2010_02262008Feb0004.jpg

2010_02262008Feb0021.jpg

2010_02262008Feb0025.jpg

2010_02262008Feb0028.jpg

2010_02262008Feb0035.jpg

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Archived