Wave Cancellations

Hello everyone,

the acoustics of this car (Kia RIO 2016 3 Door) are a negative influence to the overall music experience. System consists of 1 amplifier for the front component speakers and another amplifier for the sub.

Let's delete the unnecessary arguments first. This is NOT a HU crossover setting issue nor a general settings issue on the HU itself. The cable managent has been redone. Just imagine yourself these settings: LPF 80 Hz 12db HPF 80Hz 12db.

I have this app on my phone which allows me to play test tones. I set it to loop back and forth for a short duration. Starting from 30Hz up to 120Hz for example and I noticed, regardless of the sub position/direction/phase or LPF setting that:

- 30-45hz are OK

- from 45 to 80Hz approx huge cancellations, I need to shift my position in the back seat or near the sub to be able to hear those notes at the same volume as the notes under that crucial 45Hz point

Even the front component speakers are cancelling some frequencies say between 100 120Hz. Maybe more I haven't tested these like I did with the sub. Which is my main concern, bass reproduction. Bass is also directional and bothers immensely.

When you play a looptone say 30Hz up to 300Hz you expect to hear a linear transformation, going upwards in tonality and then back. This is not happening in that dreadful car.

Previous car had no issues. It was a Peugeot 206. No sound deadening and still everything was awesome. With this car, man... I couldn't imagine how frustraring it'll be. I have changed Hus, subs, amps and here I am again in the same place I was 4years ago.

I have changed the wiring so that there's only one common ground point for every audio component. I have improved the system by a bit, but still it has no value

Well I pray you understood the described issue and maybe there is hope still, something other than giving it to the hands of profis. I will never leave my car in the hands of strangers again. 

Please if you have insight don't hesitate to share!

Archived