Second Skin Audio

Put my 15 out of its misery?

MrShiffles

4 minutes ago, Backwoods said:

Yeah man, i didnt even think of impedance rise when i was doing it, but that makes perfect sense.

If i were to change head units i would DEFINITELY want to purchase a DD1.  And it was super cool of them. Its hard enough to trust anyone locally, even harder trusting someone you never met on the internet. Too many snakes in the grass as they say. But there are still some good people out there!!

I know what you mean dude. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

I appreciate the responses guys, but....

I used a DSO 138 Oscilloscope to set the amp gain and make sure I had clean signal coming from the head unit( a JVC which clips at 31 out of 35). I did this using 2 test signals: A sine wave generator app on my phone to test BT and a USB stick with test tones I created. I know for a FACT I was not clipping. I tuned with and without the engine running. It comes down to either massive unloading of the sub below tuning(doubting it, but not certain), or shoddy quality of the sub itself.  My original post was asking whether it would be worth a recone, or go with a better sub from a different brand.

FWIW my Polks have been in sealed and ported configurations, even back when that same JBL amp wasn't tuned properly, and they still play like they are new after 7 years of abuse.

5 hours ago, MrShiffles said:

I appreciate the responses guys, but....

I used a DSO 138 Oscilloscope to set the amp gain and make sure I had clean signal coming from the head unit( a JVC which clips at 31 out of 35). I did this using 2 test signals: A sine wave generator app on my phone to test BT and a USB stick with test tones I created. I know for a FACT I was not clipping. I tuned with and without the engine running. It comes down to either massive unloading of the sub below tuning(doubting it, but not certain), or shoddy quality of the sub itself.  My original post was asking whether it would be worth a recone, or go with a better sub from a different brand.

FWIW my Polks have been in sealed and ported configurations, even back when that same JBL amp wasn't tuned properly, and they still play like they are new after 7 years of abuse.

The recone kits for that subwoofer are out of stock on NVX’s website. So they aren’t in production right now. And a psi recone would be about $120. If what you are saying about your amp’s tuning is true then I wouldn’t dare want to keep that NVX subwoofer, even with an upgraded psi recone. I would recommend to buy another subwoofer. Are there any subwoofers you had in mind?

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived