Sonic Electronix

Hi everyone, here is my set up so far:

Jetta 4

System clamped at about 3000w rms

2x 12" subwoofers(rated 2000w rms each)  in a spl box tuned to 42hz(car peaks at 42hz).

I would specify brands but they are local to South Africa.

I'm stuck at 147db and increasing power isn't an option so my question is and this is going off a theory. Would changing subwoofers to something that doesn't require much power to get them moving help increase my score? Current subwoofers are pretty stiff and I know for a fact if I would feed them more power it would increase my number but I'm trying to keep cost as low as possible so a change of subwoofers is my only option. Also enclosure wise I'm on the money.

I'm sure other guys will weigh in on this but there are a few questions to ask as well. Is the box ported? Sealed? Bandpass?

You could be on the money for box design but I've seen a few boxes that end up having different spec's than what the manufacturer suggests and difference is noticeable. 

If increasing the power isn't an option you can always adjust box placement and depending on the box design (if the subs are facing the same way as the port),  you could have them facing a different direction. 

The other usual questions would be upgraded alternator? Battery, lithium or cap bank?

Is the system clamp tested (Multimeter) or dyno tested (AD-1 meter). My amps were clamp tested and I was told a high number (More than what manual said I could do). I bought an AD-1 and the numbers are much lower after impedence rise. I also had to figure out what frequencies have the lowest resistance etc. 

7 hours ago, pnutz37 said:

I'm sure other guys will weigh in on this but there are a few questions to ask as well. Is the box ported? Sealed? Bandpass?

You could be on the money for box design but I've seen a few boxes that end up having different spec's than what the manufacturer suggests and difference is noticeable. 

If increasing the power isn't an option you can always adjust box placement and depending on the box design (if the subs are facing the same way as the port),  you could have them facing a different direction. 

The other usual questions would be upgraded alternator? Battery, lithium or cap bank?

Is the system clamp tested (Multimeter) or dyno tested (AD-1 meter). My amps were clamp tested and I was told a high number (More than what manual said I could do). I bought an AD-1 and the numbers are much lower after impedence rise. I also had to figure out what frequencies have the lowest resistance etc. 

To answer you questions, it is a ported enclosure. Dual agm without a upgraded alternator(soon will be though) and I was clamped on a term lab magnum.

Box position, seat positions and many more already tried and nothing changed. You mentioned box specs but to my knowledge when building a spl box the manufacturers specs go out the window but I stand to be corrected.

Where my theory comes from is if you took an engine(amp) and put it in 2 different cars(subwoofer) where one is lighter than the other they would perform very much differently

Archived