Second Skin Audio

Looking for box builder in Dallas/Shreveport area

cm2658

Hey CM2658, what are you trying to do?  A ported box for the sub?  What is your budget and when are you trying to have the box built by?

16 hours ago, Arthur79 said:

Hey CM2658, what are you trying to do?  A ported box for the sub?  What is your budget and when are you trying to have the box built by?

Ported box for sure. Slot ported. Budget is negotiable and witching the next couple of weeks. I have one local guy giving a price but I want to get a few different options before I make a decision. 

I would have a box custom built for the sub(s) over a prefab.  The difference between a custom box and a prefab can easily be 3+db.

Here is a build-log to a custom enclosure I built for someone end of last year/beginning of this year:

A box build in a similar style to this one I would need to get $1250 for with half down to cover materials (and I've been told that I'm on the cheap side).  If you were wanting something a little nicer with plexi windows and internal LED lights, the cost starts to go up (thick plexi is ridiculously high right now) but hopefully that gives you an idea of general price range.

The important thing for whoever is building the box is that they design the box around the subwoofer(s).  Ideally using software like WinISD Pro (free) or BassBox Pro (paid).  And in an ideal world, the person building the box has the tools to measure the tuning frequency etc once it's finished.  Modelling the enclosure using something like WinISD Pro lets you do things like model port velocity and "chuffing" or port noise based on the amount of power you are delivering to the subs as well as model aspects of the box that validate/verify/prevent the ability to allow the sub to exceed Xmax (moving to far and destroying the voice coil(s)).

I could build you a box, but I am just starting a shop move into a bigger space and if everything goes my way, I won't be in a position to take on a project until Oct 1st.

Just for reference, I'm in zip 76033.

Hopefully this helps.

-Arthur

14 hours ago, Arthur79 said:

I would have a box custom built for the sub(s) over a prefab.  The difference between a custom box and a prefab can easily be 3+db.

Here is a build-log to a custom enclosure I built for someone end of last year/beginning of this year:

A box build in a similar style to this one I would need to get $1250 for with half down to cover materials (and I've been told that I'm on the cheap side).  If you were wanting something a little nicer with plexi windows and internal LED lights, the cost starts to go up (thick plexi is ridiculously high right now) but hopefully that gives you an idea of general price range.

The important thing for whoever is building the box is that they design the box around the subwoofer(s).  Ideally using software like WinISD Pro (free) or BassBox Pro (paid).  And in an ideal world, the person building the box has the tools to measure the tuning frequency etc once it's finished.  Modelling the enclosure using something like WinISD Pro lets you do things like model port velocity and "chuffing" or port noise based on the amount of power you are delivering to the subs as well as model aspects of the box that validate/verify/prevent the ability to allow the sub to exceed Xmax (moving to far and destroying the voice coil(s)).

I could build you a box, but I am just starting a shop move into a bigger space and if everything goes my way, I won't be in a position to take on a project until Oct 1st.

Just for reference, I'm in zip 76033.

Hopefully this helps.

-Arthur

I don’t think I’d do half of $1250, muchless $1250. I’m not trying to blow the doors off, the amp will be at half gain at best. I’m going to see some local guys prices, but I’m okay with the prefab as a temporary deal and less than a third of the price. 

4 hours ago, cm2658 said:

I paid $800 total for the 18, a box that’s too big, and SAZ-3000D so I’d imagine probably $400 max for a box.

If you have access to some basic power tools you may be able to build the custom box yourself, only having to lay out $$ for the materials.  The first box I built (almost too long ago to remember) all I had was a skill saw, jigsaw and a drill.

There is a YouTube channel called Car Audio Fabrication (you should be able to find it if you search CAF) with a guy named Mark that has some really good tutorials on box building with basic hand tools.

WinISD Pro (free software for box/driver modeling) has some pretty good tutorials on YouTube as well (just search WinISD)

You can download WinISD here: http://www.linearteam.org/

Rockford has a simple but really cool box design tool that will help you figure out your cut-list here:

https://rockfordfosgate.com/support/box-wizard/

Going with a custom box will get you a better sound and if you've ever wanted to build your own box now might be a good time to give it a try!

Best of luck!

-Arthur

Forgot to mention this in the last post:

On tuning the gains for the sub amp, if the amp has a clip indicator light (I'm not sure if that amp does or not) then you can set the gain with test tones.  If not, try to call around some local shops and see if anybody has an SMD DD-1 to tune the gains.  That way you can get the gains dialed in to ensure that the amp isn't going into clip.  That way, you can safely play your tunes and not worry about damaging the woofer or possibly even the amplifier.

Peace and chicken grease,

Art

Archived