07 grand marquis new 1500w amp clipping at 18 vol power issue or exceeding sub wattage?

Ok guys so I picked up another alternator had another problem I decided to see if I could get a 200 amp stock replacement so I called a local scrap yard tell them I need an Interceptor alternator.

They find one from another yard charge me 75$ I get it find out it is from an 03 town car I say this isn't what I want they say oh it should work I get it home realize it's 200 amp but 4g not 6g so I decide to try it lasted maybe 5 hours no headlight dimming then all the sudden dash lights start going out battery light comes on then goes out this keeps going on lucky I made it home thought I had a temp solution guess not now I am out 75$ plus gas so 85$

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah so just to update anyone that was following this post just to let everyone know all seems to be well the system is working really well the alternator is working really good my regular stock battery is holding up even being several years old. I have the two amps running the door speaker amp and the subwoofer amp running I'm currently using a 150 amp fuse I don't seem to be overpowering anything it hasn't blown yet.

Now if the typical calculations are correct what most people go by 1500 W / 10 to get the correct fuse rating that would put me at about 150 amps I however don't seem to be exceeding that rating. I am running 2 amps you would think that one of them would be putting out at least 30 amps and the subwoofer amplifier that alone would be pulling  at least 150 at the very minimum 125a but everything seems to be working so the system seems fairly loud not really sure if that's a bad problem to have maybe I should be happy that my fuses aren't blowing.

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2023 at 12:05 PM, Wifebtr said:

I have a 300w interior amp and a 2500w sub amp.

Both are fed by a wire with a 60 amp fuse.

I don't slam super hard, but I've turned it up loud enough to hurt my ears. 1.5 years of use and the fuse hasn't blown.

Wow that sounds super risky. I don't know. I mean, I've always understood power a certain way and from what I have known and from what I've been told, you know what you want to upgrade the stock alternator when you run a system. Depending on how many watts it is now. If what you're telling me is the amp that you're running for the subwoofer puts out a peek of 2500 watts. Well that probably only puts out about 400 watts RMS of total power to the subwoofers, probably at 4 ohm and the other amp that you're describing that probably puts out at the very most 50 watts RMS each channel at 4 ohms. So say about 200 watts of actual power. That's not enough to really harm anything if that's the case. 

I mean I get what you're saying but almost everything you see or read online tells you that like the calculations for 1500 w  amp should be at 150 amp fuse I'm running a trimode taramps well it's supposed to be a 4-channel lamp but it's one of those amps that has like a common ground so it's like the wiring is there for three channels and you have to hook into that somehow. So what I ended up doing was running all four door speakers off of 1/2 of the amp join reality and probably only using half of the power. Say 200 watts the RMS of the amp. I'm guessing at that stage is probably about 30 to 35 watts RMS that I can receive to the speakers not 100% sure on that but based on that, I shouldn't need more than a 20 amp fuse for that amp I believe I got a 40 amp fuse in the distribution block going to that amp.

I figure at the very most because I got the subwoofer amp turned up about 75% that it's probably only able to pull say 125 amps at most. Then you've got like 20 amps out of the door speaker amp so that's really only 145 amps.  So I would say I haven't reached my limit yet so I'm not going to have a problem. However, though if I take my door speakers down the two ohms I can probably wire up the amplifier to use all four channels and get all the power out of it. Then if I change my subwoofer design because I believe I'm getting a little bit of clipping due to the speakers reaching their limitations. If I buy modern subwoofers I might be able to get the full 1500 out of the amp then I guess maybe I would be concerned I would probably put a 200 amp fuse in at that point. 

I appreciate the replies. I mean all in all everything seems to be working. I mean there's clearly something left to be desired, but what do I expect cheaper door speakers? Both amps not really running that full capacity It's decently loud. I mean I guess the fact that fuses aren't blowing is a good problem to have. 

Archived