Second Skin Audio

4 12" sealed box question

I bought a qlogic (4) 12 sealed enclosure. All the chambers are separate. The front two chambers are smaller than the rear two. I don't know why they thought this was a good idea but as cheap as the box is they aren't getting paid to think.

Can I just open up the divider on both sides between the front and rear chamber? Then the left subs will share a chamber and the right subs will share a chamber. 

Link to box below

Btw this is just a budget build for (4) lanzar st 12s. They were 25 a piece on woot.com so I figured why not.

https://www.amazon.com/Qpower-Divided-Speaker-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B00P69NOEE/ref=asc_df_B00P69NOEE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312157286633&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1653384808397988512&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013819&hvtargid=pla-567328077296&psc=1

Not sure the chambers are of different sizes but even if they were with sealed there is no much difference in performance for normal to larger than normal internal volumes, say 1 cubic feet and 1.2 cubic feet will sound largely the same.

If those subs are the lanzar st max12s those may play better in ported box rather than sealed.

To answer your question it's better to cut a circle in the dividers rather than take them out to preserve the box strength.

Edited by Joe X
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1