Second Skin Audio

Wiring one 2ohm dvc subwoofer to 2 ohm load

Wondering, like it shows in this image, but a lot of folks say it will damage the sub... 

Is it possible to wire a 2 ohm DVC sub to a 2 ohm load? Will it damage the sub if you only wire one of the voice coils to one channel of mono block amp?

I have an American bass xr-12d2 and an nvx nda105 (1 ohm stable but also works at 4 and 2 ohms). I got the 2 ohm version of the sub thinking I'd be able to wire it to 4, 2, or 1 ohm load at my choosing.

I know how to wire it to 4 ohms and to 1 ohm, and have considered wiring it to 2 ohms by using only one voice coil but like I said, I've seen forum posts where people say that only using one voice coil will a) half the power rating and b) cause thermal problems. 

Dual-voice-coil-sub-2Ohms-wiring-diagram.webp

11 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

Just wire it to 1 ohm unless you like using only half the performance that you paid for.

Well, the amplifier does 1000 @4 ohm, 1350@ 2 ohm, and 2000 @ 1 ohm RMS. The sub is 1200w RMS. That's why I wanted to wire it to 2 ohm. I know I could still wire it 1 ohm and leave the gain down but I was hoping wiring it at 2 ohm would still work without damaging the subwoofer. Would it really only do 600w with one voice coil? Would it cause any damage or would it just underperform?

The problem with running only one coil is the BL factor would be about half as less than rated due to only half the windings on the coil being used.

The woofer will not only perform worse but could cause overheating issues.
2000 watts rms on a 1200 watt rms sub is fine, even if you set the gain properly for clean output with no distortion and clipping.

Most subs will handle more than their rated power IF the power is kept clean and not clipped to death.

You run 1 coil you won't get shit for output and will want to turn the gain up to compensate for the low output and introduce clipping and potentially blow your sub.
This is one of the leading causes to people blowing subs is due to having too small of an amp and wanting it louder so they turn the gain up like its a volume knob when it's not. Only in your case you will just be pushing your amp and sub at half the rated performance for no reason and won't be happy so you'll turn it up and let the smoke roll.

• 8 months later...