Second Skin Audio

Box Design for Sundown X15 v2 D2

16 minutes ago, MacCollins said:

Oh sorry just saw your last post. Is the EQ that I attached above good? I didn't like the look of the hump at around 35 hz as it looks like it doubles in volume at that frequency. What is wrong with tuning a box that low? It looked as though the volume would be the same from 25hz all the way up which i thought was the goal but I could be 100% wrong. Thank you so much for all the help

the problem with tuning that low is most music doesnt go that low so tuning down there is wasted output. 

in a nutshell tuning that low will result in a quieter performing sub on almost all music. bringing the tuning up will give more output where its useful and enjoyable. essentially it would be like only turning the bass knob up half way. will it work, yea. are you leaving a lot on the table, also yea. 

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

24 minutes ago, MacCollins said:

@crispy_chick3nThe EQ that I attached was tuned at 24hz. So it looks like the calculations worked. Is it a bad thing to tune the box that low? I ran it through WinISD at 32hz tuning and didn't like the way it looked. Right now I have it in a box tuned by someone else so I am not 100% sure of the exact tuning but it is a little peaky and lacks the low lows that I am looking for. This is what the EQ looked like at 32hz. 

32hz ss.png

the peak here is right in the playable band for a subwoofer. starts falling off in the 50hz range, which honestly on any of my systems thats where midbass starts to roll in at

© crispy_chick3n inc

Oh ok that makes a lot more sense. I also didn't realize how much more space tuning the sub that low would take. Just about halves the volume I would need for the total box. I'm going to play around with some calculations some more and I'll post the updated plans soon. Seriously thank you so much you have cleared up a lot. 

1 minute ago, MacCollins said:

Oh ok that makes a lot more sense. I also didn't realize how much more space tuning the sub that low would take. Just about halves the volume I would need for the total box. I'm going to play around with some calculations some more and I'll post the updated plans soon. Seriously thank you so much you have cleared up a lot. 

no problem at all. if you have any more questions feel free to post them up and ill do my best to get them answered. i usually try to check in here a couple times a day and answer what i can.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

© crispy_chick3n inc

Posted (edited)

@crispy_chick3nOk, so I have definitely gotten hyper fixated on this. Started diving into cabin gain and wave paths and stuff. I never realized how in depth the hobby was but it’s super interesting. I have been running the simulations with an internal volume of 3ft^3. I know that this is under the recommended specs but it doesn’t affect sound levels that much and saves me a whole bunch of space (which I want to keep as much as possible). The air port speed looks good and the SPL graph does as well. Maintains about 120 decibels from 25-80 hz which is what I’m looking for. My main question is, is this size box fine? I know it’s lower than the recommended but going bigger than recommended is fine. So I assume that it would be fine to go lower but I’m not 100% sure.

Edited by MacCollins

you should be alright with the smaller box. it's not too far off recommended specs.  i can't imagine that taking .7 off the box would cause you too much issue. going smaller on the box could increase back pressure and make it more difficult for the subs to move through their full extension. usually, you overcome this by putting more power to the subs. in your case i dont think you would need much extra power to overcome the undersize.

© crispy_chick3n inc