Hey everyone,

I am going to graduate from college pretty soon and I thought what better present for myself then an AR-15, the only problem is I am from California and I know there has been a pretty good amount of hatred toward all assault rifles from our great lawmakers as well as a good amount of laws passed to accompany that hatred.

I was wondering if I went through with getting one, would there be anything special I would have to do to actually get one post-ban or to make it legal.

I have heard somethings about a "bullet button" and 10rnd mags but not sure if that's all you need to know.

Thanks

Hate to break it to ya...Me Personally, I wouldn't waste the time or money in CA. But if your determined, go to a local gun shop and talk to them about the legalities.

Question: Is the M4 Type "Post Ban" Carbine avaliable in California with removable 10 round clip?

Answer: California State Law does not allow "assault rifles" that have pistol grips and removable magazines for sale in California. Bushmaster AR15 type rifles are on the banned list.

Subject: California DOJ

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regagunfaqs.htm#1

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/awguide/awguide.php

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD

Hey, thanks alot. I'll definitely have a look through the stuff and also check out a local shop. It does look like a lost cause though. I'll have to stick to pistols most likely. Alot more ranges for pistols then rifles down in the part of socal i am in anyways but it does suck getting owned by my lawmakers.

you cant have a slingshot in california.... gun laws there suck ass

Team Devastation Mixed Martial ArtsMachado Brazilian JiujitsuOnce I lock it on there's no escape I don't train to make you tap, I train to tear your arm, leg, or head off. Its your job to tap before I can do that -Pain is only weakness leaving the body, its kill or be killed and only the strong survive...Rockford FosgateDigital DesignsFi Car AudioCrossfire Car Audio

I have yet to go to a shop but after reading up on the topic over at calguns.net it looks like you can own an AR-15 even after the AW ban. There are some rules that must be followed precisely but if you have an Lower Reciever that isn't on the ban list you can go ahead and make or buy a complete AR-15.

If you don't have a pistol grip on it as well as no "evil features" (folding/collaspable stock, flash suppressor, even gernade launcher, etc.) you can have a full 30rnd mag because it's technically won't be considered an assault weapon (mainly because of the lack of a pistol grip). If you do want a pistol grip and you want to have those evil features you must have a fixed 10 rnd max mag that can only be removed with a tool.

Here's a helpful flow chart from that site as well Calgun's.net AW Flow Chart

Of course, I don't believe everything I read on the internet, especially when it comes to laws and their interpretations, but these guys seem pretty legitimate and have set me up with a good footing to go ask some good questions at some location shops.

but if you have an Lower Reciever that isn't on the ban list you can go ahead and make or buy a complete AR-15.

You're right, but typically a pre-ban lower goes for about 10k..and who really has that type of money to blow on a plinker?

I have started to look at different configurations of parts and so far they are about 1/10 of that price.For the lower alone:

Stag Arms Lower - Stripped

Stag Arms Lower

And from there you need a stock, upper, and bullet button. The most expensive part is the upper which would be about 500 to 1000 depending on who you go with. Stocks about 100 and bullet button is about 30 so 10k is a bit much. You could get a barret 50 cal for that IF FREAKING CALI ALLOWED THEM.

I would seriously contact the DJOC and talk to them, as their information and the BATF's is totally conflicting what you are saying.

They specifically say that in order to have a "legal" AR, you must have a lower dated before the ban in 2006, plus you must not have any "evil features"

Kev

Could you link me what you are referring to? I would definitely want to check it out.

I know that there WAS a Federal Assault Weapon Ban that expired 4 years ago (The Federal Assault Weapon Ban of 1994 that lasted 10 years and it's renewal was voted down 8-90). You maybe referring to that.

As for having a lower dated before 2006, I have yet to hear anything like that. Like I said before, as long as the lower isn't specified on the ban list (like colt lowers) you can build a full AW off it.