Second Skin Audio

3 12's Sealed - Infinity 1250w Vs. Mtx 4500 Vs. ?

I am looking to seal up 3 12's in a blazer. Just got done with a fi 18" Q and it wasn't doing it for me, so i want to get some tight bass with good impact sound and good sound quality. I'm sick of low bass that just shakes shit and flexes doors in and out, i want something a little more musical. I was happy with the SPL of my 18 Q, about 140 car off (sounds bad, but at 32hz, that's loud), so I'm not looking to hit any numbers with this setup, but I do want it loud.

I currently am borrowing a bxi2006d - and i'll prolly end up buying a amp that puts out 1000-1500 @ 1 ohm in a month or so to replace it.

I CAN'T SPEND MORE THAN $225 OR SO ON THE SUBS, CAUSE I'M A BROKE ASS COLLEGE STUDENT

3 dual-4's ---> 2.6667 ohm

3 single-4's ---> 1.333 ohm

I have been around a lot of subs in my days, and i know that infinity 1250w is one of the best subs in its class for sound quality and flexibility of enclosures that it sounds good in.

Three infinitys runs me about $220 shipped for single 4's. ANYONE knows of a better deal on them, let me know

Another option I just considered today is mtx 4500's. They make a single 4 and i've alwasy been intrigued by the sexyness of mtx subs (even though some may argue u can do better performance for the money) Those run about $230 shipped i think unless anyone knows any better deals.

What do you guys think between the infinity and the 4500???? Any other uber cheap sub options??? I have worked with subs long enough to know that some subs sound WAY better sealed than others, so keep that in mind. So far i'm leaning toward infinity

my roomate also has best buy discount - but the infinitys best buy carries are only dual 4 and I don't want to oversize my amp that much cause it'll be expensive. He can get the kappas too, but i'm not impressed with their lightweight magnet technology and the reference series has way better reviewss and track record.

THANKS FOR ALL INPUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------

1st place circuit city car/spl show (maplewood,MN) 2006

146.6 dB's with 2 12" L7 and 1606d brutus

just found 3 12's mtx 4500 shipped for $181 on sonic electronix, so that is cheaper than infinity.... prolly won't sound as good tho....

-------------------------------------------------

1st place circuit city car/spl show (maplewood,MN) 2006

146.6 dB's with 2 12" L7 and 1606d brutus

Archived