Fiberglass is used to...?

What exactly is fiberglass used for. Is it to reinforce the enclosure, by adding it as bracing? It it used to accomplish certain sound,sq, or spl?

And i see kitty hair a lot. What do you mix with it? and What is the real name of it?

Just some quick questions...thanks

Baylor University

Accounting

kitty hair is called kitty hair. it has long strands of fiberglass in a bodyfiller. there is also something called everglass which has short strands of fiberglass in a body filler. both are made by a company called Evercoat. The stuff you mix it with is just a hardener. You can use fiberglass for a variety of applications. You can use it to build tweeter pods, custom kick panels, custom enclosures from big to small. It makes some sweet lookin curves and designs that you cannot accomplish with regular wood/mdf. See groundpounder2ks threads for some sweet ass builds using fiberglass, you will definenlty understand "custom fiberglass work." hope that helps! ;D

here are some links:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/forums/in...php?topic=835.0

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/forums/in...php?topic=648.0

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood, NOBODY!!!

i appreaciate the quick response...ok i was just wondering because like a lot of people (unexperienced with car audio i should say) are like im going to get a fiberglass box, but they have no idea what it is. And i am trying to learn all that stuff.

I just got the car audio electronics magazine and it shows you how to mkae kickpanels and tweeter pods if i remember correctly. Also realmofexcursion has a good tutorial on how to make a pod for your tweeter. I am going to try it. Basically what i have found out is to make your mold or how you want it to look with cardboard or wood or even popsicle sticks and then you apply resin and then the fiber glass. tehn filler and you have to sand and all that. It seems really interesting i am going to go buy some stuff tommorow and start on something.

One more question (for now anyways) what is the actual fiberglass?

Is it the kitty hair mixed with something. Can you buy something that is just fiberglass and there you go. or what is it exactly.

Baylor University

Accounting

Guest MegaloManiac

kitty hair is usually reffered to a body filler with "glass fibers" mixed with it.

fiber glass is resin and a combo of a chopped matte.

resin is the gallon container, on top is the hardener , the package behind is the "glass" part

1boxandresinxw5.jpg

before

5tapedupdriversidevo5.jpg

after

8glassedxd0.jpg

fiberglass shell now...

15reinforcementlayer2gs2.jpg

so when you are trying a project of some sort like this. You would put resin on the panel or whatever. Then take the kitty hair and mix it with hardner and apply it on the resin?

is the matte like the kittyhair but in a sheet?

when you said "the "glass" part"- is that referring to the kitty hair?

Also another question... when you fiberglass, do you fiberglass the ot=utside of the panel or both outside and inside?

And for an enclosure, you fiberglass the inside of hte enclosure only?

Thanks for all the help, this is really interesting.

Baylor University

Accounting

slow down man, I really suggest you do some reading and then if you have questions come ask  in this thread, your really off along way.

read this thread.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/forums/in...php?topic=835.0

then, read it agian.  I want you to concentrate on the materials and how they are used.

i understand that and how he made it, however i need more precise details. That just has pictures with broad statements. I need to know exactly what you mix to apply on the resin.

Baylor University

Accounting

im from the DFW area, i understand the process mostly i just want to knwo what you mix the hardner with or what you mix the kitty hair with. I am going to use fiber glass to make a mold of the area of my door panel where the tweeter is mounted and then work off that to create a pod for my tweeter. I am going to follow the simple steps on realmofexcursion or the steps in my CA&E magazine.

Baylor University

Accounting