Second Skin Audio

Box For Magnum Subs

07mazda3s

My buddy bought one of those bass packages about a year ago: the ones that come with 2 12's, an amp, and a tiny prefab sealed box all for like $140. In my opinion they actually sounded pretty good but the box was way too small...Now we put the 12's in a sealed box I used to have 2 15's in and they each have about 1.6 cubes sealed: the subs are waaay louder now and I told him he could get even more out of them by porting the box. The subs aren't too too scrawny but at the same time I don't know how they will do ported.

I guess I would just like some opinions on whether or not to port the box and the tuning. . .

I don't know the stats of the subs but I would guess they are 100-150wrms and the amp is matched to them. They have about 1.6 cubic feet each minus whatever port displacement will be.

Thanks!!!

Power Acoustik fubar 12

sony xploding amp

2 ft^3 box @ 35hz

my first system was the visonik package from pep boys auto store. I thought it was the shit lol. My amp was putting out 250 rms bridged but the subs were rated at 300 rms each. I put them in a prefab ported box with 200 watts each and it was like night and day. The whole thing cost me 100 bucks, but the subs were not bad considering i paid like 25 dollars for them. Held up til I sold it to someone else for their first system.

I would give it a try, you may lose some SQ but the output should be a little better. Worst case it sounds like crap and you waisted some labor time and maybe 20 dollars in supplies for the "sake of science".

a bigger amp may be in order also, but the time you spend money on new amp and get a new box, just go ahead and het new subs. if the budget is small go with CVR's, will prolly be better than those magnums.

Current Setup:

Factory HU with LOC

mids/highs-Insignia components

Sub- E8 in bass tube

Amp- sae-1200d

Show Setup:

HU-Sony MEX-1HD (brings massive respect for sony)

fronts - Infinity Kappa perfect comps

rears- Infinity Kappa coax

mid/high amp - Autotek 5600

Subs - 2 RE SE 15's

Sub Amps - 2xSAE-1200D

Box - 5cubes sealed

Wire- Lots of Knu 1/0

SECOND SKIN

Archived