Sundown Audio

Recomendation SQ amp for sub please

Guest MegaloManiac

looks hand made, read around it supose to be a great amp, but i dont hav 800+ to spend on that Linear Power 4.1HVS

my budget is no more than 400

Well, here is the problem really, when you say something like this:

'I am lookin for an amp that has great SQ at 1000+ watts rm, im wanting to give the sub around 1200watts'

You have to prepare yourself to accept the simple fact that 1kw of pure power doesn't come cheap, even if it comes from japan.

The other half to the statement is about LP, let me explain. In order to use the to-3 devices and still keep the PCB area managable (Ie. keep the amps size within sane proportion) they pulled power mains to the bipolars off the PCB. In other words they eliminated those traces. To carry the current they needed the trace width would have been grossly oversized even if they chose the thickest grade pour they could buy. So they simply hardwired them all. Thus it's a jumbled mess inside.

But be advised with those amps you will pay under a buck a watt for stupid clean gobs of power. All those ratings you found you can just throw out the window because they are grossly underrated on all counts. I had three of the 8002sw's and not a single one did under 2kw (rated @ 800rms)

In certain situations the 4.1hvs has been known to exceed 4kw output. Keep in mind in the mid 90's this was insanity for a single amplifier. If you paid 800 bucks for a 4.1hvs you got the best value for dollar when you even compare todays class Dirty amps. And none of them will beat the LP in overall spec.

So it might all sound pretty steep to you, but if you can pony up the bucks, you wouldn't be sorry. They also maintain thier value because they have a lifetime failure rate of less then 1% of all amps manufactured. So good luck killing one.

The power supplies are fixed modulation blocks, and virtually impossible to starve into self destruction. They are also unregulated! Every part in that amp is rated at 150% of it's intended duty. They are just plain beautiful from a design standpoint. So what if they don't look pretty inside?

The last tidbit only a tech like me might realize is that the to-3 bipolars they use in those amps not only slew faster then most of todays MOSFETs, but when the core temp of each one rises the gates open up a little more. This will bias the ouput stage tighter and actually increase SQ by reducing crossover distortion. There is also a small increase in power. So while other amps and limiting themselves by reducing output to prevent thermal runaway, the LP's absolutly love it.

Did I mention every part in them is mil spec? everything american? You will pay under a buck a watt for all that.... which is exactly why people are usualy fanatics once they have one.

It's all in the engineering..

- Matt

SMDsigbannr4.jpg FTW?

Guest MegaloManiac

Can I ask you which of the 2 is the better one? XXK or that SE (both by Arc)

are they 1000 watt capable at 1ohm?

i'll just check out the site. if u see an Arc amp FS post the link up.