Second Skin Audio

Back Seats Down Or Up?

Ok, I searched, and couldn't find any answers to this.

I'm pretty new to building my own stuff so don't bash me about this, I need to learn somehow... :pardon:

I have a 2005 Mustang, and I'm putting 2 12" P3's in it on a p1000-1bd amp. So at 1 ohm, each amp is gettin about 600w rms full tilt. (I know, this may not be up to the "big boys" standards, but I have to start somewhere, and please don't criticize me on my choice of equiptment)

The trunk is so tiny and akwardly shaped, that I think I'm going to have to go sealed.

Now here is the question: I've seen people say that if you have a trunk car, to have the subs face backwards and close to the back of the trunk. But then I've seen people folding down the seats and have the subs face forward into the cabin. I'm wondering, which would be louder and move more air? I know, I'm not looking to get a hairtrick from 2 12's, and I'm not into competition (partially because I can't find much in Ohio), but I want it to be loud to the ear. Numbers really don't matter at this time, I just want to get a feel for what I'm doing first. Just "loud to the ear" is good with me, and I don't like trunk rattle either.

So, seats up with subs back, or seats down with subs forward?

I appreciate any help you guys may have.

Custom 1977 Chevy Nova Show Car:

(1) Kenwood KDC-MP638U Head Unit

(10) Sony 3" in the dash

(2) Rockford Fosgate P3 12" P3D412

(1) Rockford Fosgate P1000.1bd @ 1ohm

(1) Rockford Fosgate PEQ Bass Remote

(1) Rockford Fosgate 1 Farad Digital Capacitor RFC1D

All Rockford Fosgate 4AWG Power/Ground wire

Under construction:

(2) Rockford Fosgate P162C 6.0" 2-Way Full-Range Speakers up front

(2) Rockford Fosgate P1694C 6"x9" 4-Way Full-Range Speakers in the back

EVERYTHING hidden to maintain authentic look

well it depends on some cars sometimes...but if you dont want your trunk to be rattling then put the seats down with subs foward it should be louder that way..but like i said it depends on cars and enclosures the subs are in too...hope this helps.. :good:

Ok, I searched, and couldn't find any answers to this.

I'm pretty new to building my own stuff so don't bash me about this, I need to learn somehow... :pardon:

I have a 2005 Mustang, and I'm putting 2 12" P3's in it on a p1000-1bd amp. So at 1 ohm, each amp is gettin about 600w rms full tilt. (I know, this may not be up to the "big boys" standards, but I have to start somewhere, and please don't criticize me on my choice of equiptment)

The trunk is so tiny and akwardly shaped, that I think I'm going to have to go sealed.

Now here is the question: I've seen people say that if you have a trunk car, to have the subs face backwards and close to the back of the trunk. But then I've seen people folding down the seats and have the subs face forward into the cabin. I'm wondering, which would be louder and move more air? I know, I'm not looking to get a hairtrick from 2 12's, and I'm not into competition (partially because I can't find much in Ohio), but I want it to be loud to the ear. Numbers really don't matter at this time, I just want to get a feel for what I'm doing first. Just "loud to the ear" is good with me, and I don't like trunk rattle either.

So, seats up with subs back, or seats down with subs forward?

I appreciate any help you guys may have.

when i had my shit in my car still, i kept my seats down and there was quite a bit of difference, it was louder and sounder better. i tried subs firing forward and tried them firing back and i never noticed any difference with that. but might be different for you.

BRENT

1997 GMC Yukon
1-DC xl18"
Stetsom 2K5E
3-Kinetik HC1800's

1967 Pontiac GTO

ive been told that subs facing the trunk and ports facing trunk r louder. rite now i hav a sealed box and with seats down its much louder. so i would guess subs facing back wit seats down is best.

let me know wat works for u. im buildin a new system and am decidin on whether to face subs towards trunk or interior also. either way seats doen is louder i assume

Ride: 2001 BMW325ci

Headunit: Alpine ida-x305

High/mid: stock harmon/kardon everything: 6 tweets, 1 set of 6.5" and 1 set of 6x9, 500rms total

Sub: (1) 15" DC Audio Level 5 D2 ohm

Amp for sub: MTX 4001d

Box: custom built 3.5 cuft ported

Power: 220amp alt from ohio gen, 2 kinetik 2400s in back

(Armoredhaulin @ May 29 2009, 08:34 AM)

Why waste your time with this tool? His system sucks, that's all there really is to it. My toilet puts out more low end and flex than that thing!

Ok, so seats down is louder either way, I think we have that established. Now its a matter of knowing which way to face the subs, front or back. Like I said, I have a 2005 Mustang with a small trunk. I'll have to either build the box in the trunk, or slide in in through the back seats because the the trunk lid opening is too small to fit a box through it.

Maybe I'll make a mock up box with one sub and see if forwards or back is louder before I make the final one.

Any other input? Thanks for the help so far.

EDIT: And the cabin is quite small too so I'm thinking that having subs forward would create more pressure in the cabin than with the seats up. If I feel abitious, I could try to seal it all off and make a "Mini-wall" like I've seen some people here do. But right now, that is a little more that what I want to do to start out.

Edited by sdrawkcaB

(10) Sony 3" in the dash

Under construction:

well this year alone we had about 15-20 shows so far. if you are around the columbus/cinci area there are a shit load of shows theres. greg zoeller is the judge usually. september 7th roadquake is having a show. its the last one i believe. its up in cleveland though.

----reference's----

meade916

well this year alone we had about 15-20 shows so far. if you are around the columbus/cinci area there are a shit load of shows theres. greg zoeller is the judge usually. september 7th roadquake is having a show. its the last one i believe. its up in cleveland though.

Is there a website that has a list of these show dates for next year so I can keep track?

I'm away at college now so I can't go to much, but I live in north-central ohio, halfway between Columbus and Cleveland. I've never been to a competition, so is there any place where I can read up on rules and procedures for these events? Also, what is the average distance people travel to go to shows/competitions? Because Cinci sounds sort of far for a show with a good few hours of drive time one way, but maybe that's just the normal distance travel to shows??

Because when I take my Nova to car shows, I don't drive more than 45 minutes. And theres usually something every weekend.

(10) Sony 3" in the dash

Under construction: