Help With Electrical

Alll right here is the deal, my 93 astro van cant take 16-18v so im doing 2 alts with dual post going back to my 16v battery bank for the audio..... then i have the van the radio mids and highs amp along with a few other lil misc 12v accs. they need 12v .....so what i was thinking was get 1 or 2 power masters 993 step down box and instead of using them on a 16v battery i was gunna hook them up to the 16v alt and have that 993 step that down to 12v to charger 1 12v battery... and then use that battery to power my 12v stufff! i think this will work just wanted to ask around

If I recall those step down modules are only rated like 50amps max. To fully keep a 16.9v battery charged you need to charge it at 19volts at least. It may be easier to seperate the alts and run one at normal and/or 15v and the "16.9v" batts /alt at 19+ volts. Once you run your car, amps for mids/highs, a/c, head lights, ect... there wont be much left from that alt for the 16v set up anyway. You can do this with internally regulated alts as well now!!! :rolleyes:

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

wish i could get 3 alts in there lol! so if i get 1 alt for 16v batts will that be enougth to charge my batts (5) and keep up with my maxximus ? then the other alt i can use to run my 12v batt and accs.....? 1 + and 1- run of 1/0 per alt for charging....?

Should be more reliable for sure. Plus you can run it at the needed 19v to get a full charge on the 16v batteries no problem.

For what would be left from after your alt powered your car you really wouldn't be sacrificing much. A stock alt for the 19v side should be able to take the pressure and charge all 5 - 16v batts. Hell I keep 13 batteries charged off dual stockers with 3 -ma audio 10ka's amps. Best thing about the stock alts is they dont heat up like the HO alts so the are more consistant for alot longer.

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Archived