Im not sure of the full specs of the box, but I hear its pretty nice, ( we actually use a hosting service ( he is a buddy of mine))

Basicly I use what the server has,  Im not 100% sure what all is on it, I just ask for certin things to be closed up or opened up for me, I then just make sure my software is as secure as it can be, people can still get in, there is no such thing as hackproof @ this moment in time.

I have been hit before it sucks, you just have to make sure yu have back up of the Databases made, I make one once a week, my host makes entire site backups once a month so, if anything ever happened we wouldnt lose it all.

Yeah, I feel ya...your on the right track.  Usually to test my work, i'll go out to like insecure.org or something and download some hacking tools like nmap to test what i've done.  Pretty much the most vulnerable spot is and always will be the router.  Once you stop him from talking your toast.  If you can run some IDS on him to drop (vs inspect) certain packet types like DoS or ICMP attacks..it'll save you a tone of headaches if an attack occurs.  Just my $.02. 

2k6 Dodge Ram 2500...CUMMINS POWERED - SOLD