Alright guys I'm needing some help on getting a router. Right now I have my desktop in the "computer room" with cable coming in to the modem then it's usb out to the computer. Then I have my Laptop for my college work and such. So I'm wondering what kind of router do I need to run the USB from my modem into then a USB out to my desktop and have it send a wireless signal so I can pick it up from my laptop. As of now, I must unplug the USB from the desktop and plug it into my laptop and I've got the net but having a wireless signal so I can still have the desktop as normal and use my laptop anywhere in the house would be great. Does that make sense?

HU: JVC KD-AVX1Speakers: Stock BlazerSub: 2 Mass Destruction Car Audio Sidewinder 12"Amp: Orion HCCA-D1200 @ 1ohm (600 RMS)Box: 3.0 cubes tuned to 35

Alright guys I'm needing some help on getting a router. Right now I have my desktop in the "computer room" with cable coming in to the modem then it's usb out to the computer. Then I have my Laptop for my college work and such. So I'm wondering what kind of router do I need to run the USB from my modem into then a USB out to my desktop and have it send a wireless signal so I can pick it up from my laptop. As of now, I must unplug the USB from the desktop and plug it into my laptop and I've got the net but having a wireless signal so I can still have the desktop as normal and use my laptop anywhere in the house would be great. Does that make sense?

It is gonna be tough to find a wireless router that uses usb, like yours does, instead of ethernet. I would buy a normal wireless router w/4 port switch , and also a PCI ethernet card for your desktop.

My desktop has an ethernet port and my Modem has ethernet out but when they came and set up my internet that's how they done it. I never tried it with the ethernet.

EDIT: Do they make some sort of USB to ethernet adapter so I can keep my existing setup and just use an adapter on the router end?

Like using this:

http://www.vpi.us/usb-rj45.html

Edited by Audiobahnaholic

HU: JVC KD-AVX1Speakers: Stock BlazerSub: 2 Mass Destruction Car Audio Sidewinder 12"Amp: Orion HCCA-D1200 @ 1ohm (600 RMS)Box: 3.0 cubes tuned to 35

My desktop has an ethernet port and my Modem has ethernet out but when they came and set up my internet that's how they done it. I never tried it with the ethernet.

EDIT: Do they make some sort of USB to ethernet adapter so I can keep my existing setup and just use an adapter on the router end?

Just get the router and it will have all of the instructions to wire to the modem and computer. It's one of the easiest things to set up. I wonder why they would use USB in the install? Thats just dumb.

A vitrolic, megalomaniacal sadistic psychopath.

I understand setting up the router would be simple, but my question is if I get one and it has ethernet ports I can buy the adapters from http://www.vpi.us/usb-rj45.html and just use my existing setup instead of jacking with my ISP to come out and reconfigure the modem and shit. Right? If so, any router will work for what I'm wanting?

It is gonna be tough to find a wireless router that uses usb, like yours does, instead of ethernet. I would buy a normal wireless router w/4 port switch , and also a PCI ethernet card for your desktop.

x2, if you have fry's electronics near you, go buy it there, i bought my wireless N router for 25 bucks, they even have adapters for $9

Like using this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...2&CatId=589

That I am not entirely sure of. If you have a ethernet port, you should use it. USB will be limiting the network speeds.

Let me try to set it up using the ethernet and if it works great. So would this router work? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...1&CatId=373

EDIT: That didn't work. My computer or modem one must have a bunk ethernet port. SO I guess I will just grab the $9 worth of adapters and run USB to ethernet adapters. So just any cheap wireless router will work? Not looking to spend $100 on a router.

Edited by Audiobahnaholic

Let me try to set it up using the ethernet and if it works great. So would this router work? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...1&CatId=373

EDIT: That didn't work. My computer or modem one must have a bunk ethernet port. SO I guess I will just grab the $9 worth of adapters and run USB to ethernet adapters. So just any cheap wireless router will work? Not looking to spend $100 on a router.

Yeah that router, or any other router like it will work fine. No need for a super expensive router. Your router or PC may just not have the settings correct for ethernet, which could be an easy fix, but hard to figure out if you are without internet at the times that you are trying to get the settings right, so I wouldn't be able to help you very easily, but if I was there I could probably do it in a minute or two, so you might just be better off getting that adapter, or if you know anybody that is has a bit of computer or networking know how, have them take a look at it for you. I fix peoples stuff all the time for a beer or whatnot.