Sonic Electronix

ok, I've heard things about RISE and it has to do with the box and it afects how much power your subs get. can anyone help me cause this is really making me curious.

thanks

Bills

KwB

Team DC Audio Midwest captain

Box rise is when your ohm load increases from its resting load. Example: resting ohm load is 1 ohm when you play music it will rise to some where around 1.3 maybe. Even more in a sealed box.

edit: What the H*LL is going on with my computer??

Edited by banginAltima

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

I am not sure why it happens.... I just know what it is.

Your gonna have to get someone smarter then me to explain why it happens...

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

well... i can tell ya to combat rise u need a smaller enclosure... which itself lends to more power handling

The DC resistance (Re)is the measurement of the coil at rest. When the cone starts moving, the magnetic field associated with the magnet and the moving coil increases the resistance of the voice coil. Usually the more resonant the enclosure, the higher the impedance rise. Most competitors try to factor rise into the equation so they can get the most power out of their amps.

this is why most sub companies call dual 4 ohm, in example, when on a dmm they will read closer to 3ohms... this allows for box rise so the amp used will put out as much power as possible... if it actually read 4 ohms... there would be more resistance to power

lets say ur amp sees .7ohms... and puts out 1000w @ 1 ohm.... if u have .3ohms rise in resistance... ud still be getting ~1000w whereas if the final load the amp saw was 1 ohm and rise was .3.... the amp would put out less power at the higher resistance... impedence rise is something to consider when purchasing an amp

Edited by decafcappucino

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

within the subs parameters... yes

if a sub calls for 3-5cubicfeet.... there will/should be more rise in 5cubes then 3cubes, but the larger enclosure uses the power more efficiently

a box that flexes raises impedence also

Edited by decafcappucino

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

ok, so sorry for keep asking stuff. haha.

i got about 8.5ish cubes after displacement and my subs call for 4 cubes per sub for spl. i'll be seeing more rise then at the soundquality size witch is 3 cubes?

Bills

KwB

Team DC Audio Midwest captain

yes but the subs use the larger enclosure more efficiently... in that it takes less power to move the sub the same amount

there are a few other things too

heat causes a rise in impedance

im forgetting some things... but thats the jist of it

edit* the strength of the motor itself and the tuning of the enclosure also affect rise

u could get anywhere from .1ohm rise to 20x the nominal resistance...all due to the combination of size, tune freq, motors used, rigidity of enclosure, wire size, heat... and prolly some others

Edited by decafcappucino

TeamSundown-sig.jpg