What Options Do I Have..

Well I was thinking about going to wyotech or UTI here in Sac. I did a little search on google and read on a few forums on peoples thoughts or experience on both schools and some had some good comments and others not so good. Plus they started talking about prices for these schools and whoa I had to rethink all of this. Now I wanted to mainly get into body work welding, major/small dent repair aligning body panels/ painting etc. Maybe a little on the engine building side I would at least like to learn how to build top end of a motor if I wanted to, and get some suspension/ frame knowledge down and some electrical work. Now I dont exactly plan to do any of this for a living just things I would love to know how to do to keep cost down when I build a car of my own from ground up. After searching through goolge and seeing prices for these schools I know that wouldn't be a good way to go about learning anything since I dont actually plan on pursuing a career in those areas. Would I be better off trying to get on internship type of thing at some local Sacramento shops. I mean I would do it for free if I could just hang around and help out or watch. A relative of mine has a friend that owns a body shop in South sac on power inn but I dont think they do any major custom work like I would like to get into. I think he said they mainly do insurance and quick fix you up and send you on your way kind of thing there. He said I could work around the shop and learn some things but Im not sure how serious he was with it. Thought I would ask on here since I know there is quite a bit of Sac heads on here and just looking for opinions. I dont want to be that kind of guy that drops his rides off at shops to have work done, I enjoy doing the work myself.