Alt Or Batteries

ok im tired of my voltage on my system dropping to 11.6 volts on my car full tilt. i currently have a Kicker zx2500.1 on a Fi BTL 15" and 2 optimas yellow tops. i have the big 3 done and on a cold day at start up im at 14.6 volt and on a hot day im at 14.0 volts. i have enough for either a mechan H.O. Alt or a XS power master D3100. but i dont know what to get. but i do know im leaning toward the new ALT. whats your opinion?

dont know what happened to the last post. i guess it got deleted.

what is a missing link module?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Club 150 (15x.x)

Youtube

Future Build:

1x 15" T3 TSNS

2x Sundown Audio SAZ3000d Parellel strapped

Guest Just_Rob
ok im tired of my voltage on my system dropping to 11.6 volts on my car full tilt. i currently have a Kicker zx2500.1 on a Fi BTL 15" and 2 optimas yellow tops. i have the big 3 done and on a cold day at start up im at 14.6 volt and on a hot day im at 14.0 volts. i have enough for either a mechan H.O. Alt or a XS power master D3100. but i dont know what to get. but i do know im leaning toward the new ALT. whats your opinion?

dont know what happened to the last post. i guess it got deleted.

what is a missing link module?

It is a module that manipulates the alternators voltage setpoint higher, which gives you much greater efficiency throughout the car... More voltage = less amperage required and that never sucks!! Your stock alternator was either a 110 Amp or 125 Amp Hitachi, If your going to put an alternator on that car, 220 Amp or 240 Amp is as big as I would go unless you want to bracket something else in there which can be done.. The stock Hitachi alts are definitely not the way to go, and DEFINITELY not capable of 200+ Amps safely, they barely live at 130 amps so if anyone tries to sell you one, RUUUUUN!!! The other thing with your car is a bad pulley ratio which makes it worse as the stock alt will only do 75-80 amps at idle on a good day, you need 110-120 at idle, minimum....

I would definitely get the D3100 either way and ditch the yellow tops, new AGM powercells are WAY more capable storage and delivery systems and really, really help good charging systems... I've done a ton of systems like yours with 1 145 Amp alt and 1 good battery with NO problems.. You dont always need the biggest baddest alternator you can get, get one that gives you monster low end output and back it up with a great battery and definitely the MLA module.... Rob

i will be getting 2 new batteries also and sell one yellow top and have the 2 XS D3100's in the back, and 1 Yellow top up front.

Club 150 (15x.x)

Youtube

Future Build:

1x 15" T3 TSNS

Guest Just_Rob
i will be getting 2 new batteries also and sell one yellow top and have the 2 XS D3100's in the back, and 1 Yellow top up front.

The most important battery (IMHO) is the front one... It runs the car, and is usually the bottleneck of the system.. You notice the voltage loss more on the car side than the stereo usually because your lights are dimming, blower motor slows down etc... Given the option, take bigger idle output over top end power every time.. Honestly, as far as the batteries go, you would be better off with a XS S975 up front than the yellow top, ESPECIALLY if your going to run an MLA Module... ((I dont like yellow tops, at all))

ok so i just read about the MLA. this things sounds pretty cool. and yea i guess i will get the ALT before the new batteries.

Club 150 (15x.x)

Youtube

Future Build:

1x 15" T3 TSNS

I would definitely go with the alternator. I have the same amp, kx2500.1, and I got 1 bluetop and the mechman 250 alt, my lights don't even dim anymore when i'm playing it full tilt at night.

94 3000gt

18" Kicker Solo X

KX2500.1

2 KX350.4

8 JBL Coax Speakers

250A Mechman Alt

hey jlgn_2000 do you know your voltage is on full tilt? because the ZX is a power hungry amp

not as hundry as my RF T3K's.

run a yellow top up front with a powermaster or kinetik 2400 to the rear for the 2500 with a min of 200 amp alt. your looking at @ 13 volts full tilt. you running 0 gauge with big 3?

127702-1.jpg

kinetik-1-1-1-1-1-1.jpgRockford_Logo-1-2-1-1-1-1-1-1-1--2.jpg

yea all 0 Gauge. from weldingsuply.com. but 13 volt on tilt is so much better then the 11.6 which sucks

Club 150 (15x.x)

Youtube

Future Build:

1x 15" T3 TSNS