Sundown Audio

Amp Overheats

AudioKraze

Has anybody else had this problem or is it just me. I think itz cuz the amp cant handle the low ohms because i hav an amped bridged at 2 ohms and it lasts awhile then it will get really hot and shut off. But it turns bak on after about 5 minutes

Car: 2003 Lincoln Town Car

Subs: 2 MTX 8512-44

Amp: MTX TA7801

Power: Stock Alt/Battery

Wire: 0 Gauge Stinger Power/Ground

HU: Dual XDVD8181 7" Monitor

Other: 2 Farad Power Acoustik Power Cap

Automotive Technician at Bryden Motors, Beloit WI

Has anybody else had this problem or is it just me. I think itz cuz the amp cant handle the low ohms because i hav an amped bridged at 2 ohms and it lasts awhile then it will get really hot and shut off. But it turns bak on after about 5 minutes

keep in mind..your ground has to keep as short as posible so the amp could not get too warm or hot...also?..what type of woofer(s) you have it wired to?..what type of gauge is the amp wired to also?..that could be the trouble too...maybe the power wire wired to the amp is too little..(thin)

its a crunch 800 watt wired to 2 MTX 4512 single 4 ohm with 4 gauge power/ground

its a crunch 800 watt wired to 2 MTX 4512 single 4 ohm with 4 gauge power/ground

is it a 2,4 channel amp or mono?...i have a crunch pzi250.2 1000 watt amp and had it hooked up to 3 mtx 4500's for a test..i had it on volume 30-35 for 30 min drive and the amp didnt get hot at all..just a lil warm thoug...

my best answer is your ground maybe too long or your low on ohms and made amp get hot fast..what ohm stable is that crunch 800 watt amp?..mine is 2 ohm stable...

it is a 2 channel and my ground is like 2 feet. the amp is kinda old though it will last about an hour and a half then it will burn if u touch it. it is a crunch ds-400.2

it is a 2 channel and my ground is like 2 feet. the amp is kinda old though it will last about an hour and a half then it will burn if u touch it. it is a crunch ds-400.2

thats kinda long man...make your ground shorter...just dont brigde does woofers to that amp...wire them at 8ohm like noobtastic said.you might burn or cause a fire with the amp geting too hot...lol...or get a new amp with more wattage - rms....

alright but wouldnt wiring it at 8 ohms cut the power to like half. and i was gonna get a 1000 watt mono autotek amp but the wire terminals are way to small.

most A/B 2ch amps are not stable 2ohms bridged

my old Rockford 700.S took it for months but sent some nasty dirty signal because of it. 8ohms bridged, or one woofer per channel (just bridge it) or toss 2ohms on a Class D mono amp

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

yes, you will get MUCH less power.

unfortunately that is a very poor match- consider doing one woofer at 4ohms bridged in a big ported box. might get some better results

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew