Second Skin Audio

Kicker 12l7 Or 15l7s?

I am in process of building new system.I posted before i was set on 2 Kicker 15s and a 2500.1.The thing is the cost.If i go for 2 12s i can save a little because i dont have to spend alot on a big ass amp.What i need to know is how much louder will 2 15s and 2500 watts be then 2 12s and say 1500 watts?My budget is around 1600.00.This is for amp,subs,box.My vehical is a 1996 Chevy 1500 ext cab.I would like better higs and eq and stuff,but the heart is the boom.Can you help a brother out?

Though I don't usually like to add stuff up for people....

$519 http://cgi.ebay.com/2-KICKER-08S15L74-SOLO...1QQcmdZViewItem

$649 http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Kicker-ZX2500-1-m...1QQcmdZViewItem (though this was a display... add a little if you cared about that)

leaves $432.

two or three sheets of mdf @ $30 or so depending, $90 we will say.

$20 glue and screws, should be less.

$322 left. Plenty there for say, wire, etc if your budget is really $1600. Now if it is just that you don't want to spend that much money and lower your budget, thats a different story. But realistically, you are adding 2/3 more watts and 1/2 or so as much cone area when you step up from the 12's and 1500 watts to the 15's and 2500 watts, so it will make a pretty large difference, but it all depends on the way they are installed.

Note I didn't search for sites that would necessarily be able to give you the warrenty, nor did I take any time to search for cheapest prices. I also am not saying iether of those people are good to buy from, just an example

Though I don't usually like to add stuff up for people....

$519 http://cgi.ebay.com/2-KICKER-08S15L74-SOLO...1QQcmdZViewItem

$649 http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Kicker-ZX2500-1-m...1QQcmdZViewItem (though this was a display... add a little if you cared about that)

leaves $432.

two or three sheets of mdf @ $30 or so depending, $90 we will say.

$20 glue and screws, should be less.

$322 left. Plenty there for say, wire, etc if your budget is really $1600. Now if it is just that you don't want to spend that much money and lower your budget, thats a different story. But realistically, you are adding 2/3 more watts and 1/2 or so as much cone area when you step up from the 12's and 1500 watts to the 15's and 2500 watts, so it will make a pretty large difference, but it all depends on the way they are installed.

Note I didn't search for sites that would necessarily be able to give you the warrenty, nor did I take any time to search for cheapest prices. I also am not saying iether of those people are good to buy from, just an example

Thanks for the reply.My local stereo shops want $200.00 to build a box.I was including that in my budget because i dont think i could build one and have it right.Im kinda smart in the other department.I had systems when i was younger but i always had my boxes built.I did do some web searching on prices and places that are legit and they all are pretty much close ,give or take a couple of dollars.Any ideas for a box?There is a member here who has the setup i want to do,but i cant find him.Just want to say this site is great and you guys are not assholes.God Bless Steave Mead!!

At one time I had never built a box as well. First time for everything. You will get better the more you do it, if you never do it, you never will be able to if you get what im saying.

The best sounding box out of the 3 or so I built for my S15L7 I had a long time ago was a 4.5 cubic feet box I built to their specs as it was my first sub.

Honestly, building a box isn't all that hard. cut out the pieces to the right size and put it together. Of course it would be a lot simpler if you built a sealed box first, but it depends all on what you want to tackle. You will definitely have a much greater sense of accomplishment if you do it yourself.

I see no need to pay someone to do work I can easily learn to do myself...

At one time I had never built a box as well. First time for everything. You will get better the more you do it, if you never do it, you never will be able to if you get what im saying.

The best sounding box out of the 3 or so I built for my S15L7 I had a long time ago was a 4.5 cubic feet box I built to their specs as it was my first sub.

Honestly, building a box isn't all that hard. cut out the pieces to the right size and put it together. Of course it would be a lot simpler if you built a sealed box first, but it depends all on what you want to tackle. You will definitely have a much greater sense of accomplishment if you do it yourself.

I see no need to pay someone to do work I can easily learn to do myself...

Say i call Kicker and they give me specs and they say for 2 15s you need 9 cubes slotted tuned at 35hertz.I have only so much space.Tommorow when i get done work"if u could help me",i measure my space that i have to work with and maybe you can steer my in the right direction.Thanks in advance if you can help,got work tommorrow.

yea, 9 cubes sounds about right for both. Yea, figure out what kind of space you have to work with and go from there. if you don't have 9 cubes then you might look at the 12's

yea, 9 cubes sounds about right for both. Yea, figure out what kind of space you have to work with and go from there. if you don't have 9 cubes then you might look at the 12's

Sorry got done work late the other night.I have 61 1/2 from side to side.28"inches from back of front seats to back of truck andanywherer from 34 inches and up from floor up.I searched for box plans and couldnt find any ones.Is there a site you know of?

Sorry got done work late the other night.I have 61 1/2 from side to side.28"inches from back of front seats to back of truck andanywherer from 34 inches and up from floor up.I searched for box plans and couldnt find any ones.Is there a site you know of?

Take my advice from someone who went down this route. Save your money and buy some good subs.

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Escape

Head Unit: Kenwood Kdc-x592

All out for a rebuild.

New shit coming in the next 30 days.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

Take my advice from someone who went down this route. Save your money and buy some good subs.

if you dont mind me asking.What is wrong with kicker subs?I havent heard them in person but i did alot of youtube searching and they pound.Where i live its all RF.When i was younger 12 years or so ago it was Cerwin Vega.What do you think would be better?I posted before i have a budget of 1600.00 or so for subs,amp,box.Most bang for the buck if you know what i mean.

Giving you my honest opinion. Kicker subs where all I ran until I started doing some research on them. Kicker makes good subs dont get me wrong and they sound fairly good doing what they do. But I dont like them for the fact that all of there subs other than the solox series have these shitty kaptan (hope I spelled that right) voice coil. When kapton gets hot enough it warps. When a voice coil warps it starts rubbing the wall of the sub making a loud scratching sound. What you want to look for is an aluminum voice coil sub as aluminum doesnt warp when it gets hot.(The solox series uses these) If you where going to get a pair of cvrs because you where on a budget Id say go for it. But if your spending the money on a pair of l7s I would save a bit more and get a good pair of subs. Listen to people on this forum about dc, dd, fi, re, sundown and alot of other great brands that are better quality and wont break the bank. I bought 4 8" l7s. Ran them at 1ohm and put them on my sundown 1500d. These subs are supposed to handle up to 1800rms and Iwas running 1600rms at max on them. One of the voice coils warped with in a week and the subs themselves where almost bottoming out. 1800rms my ass. Just my 0.02. Take it as you want.

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Escape

Head Unit: Kenwood Kdc-x592

All out for a rebuild.

New shit coming in the next 30 days.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg