Oem Alarm Upgrade Vs. Stand-alone Alarm

Just wanted to add another thought to this post. Keep in mind that to me, security for my PT is more than the alarm alone. I carry $6500 in extra insurance above full coverage that will protect ANY aftermarket item that I can produce a valid receipt for, I keep the car in my garage at night, and I absolutely will not leave it anywhere I don't feel comfortable with for any reason, EVER!

So maybe my needs for an alarm are different than yours. I mainly want one for the 2-way pager, glass breakage, and radar for when the sunroof is left open. I have already experiemented with adding a DEI pager to my stock alarm, and had issues, so it is time to upgrade. I don't need the latest and greatest OEL display remotes, so an older Viper or Clifford will work for me, and I will get the one that is the better deal.

I only have limited alarm install experience, so a bypass kit makes it easier for me to install an alarm myself.

I am willing to bet that most experienced guys here on SMD that have done their own installs could do an alarm, too, but for the average person, a professional shop would be best.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Just wanted to add another thought to this post. Keep in mind that to me, security for my PT is more than the alarm alone. I carry $6500 in extra insurance above full coverage that will protect ANY aftermarket item that I can produce a valid receipt for, I keep the car in my garage at night, and I absolutely will not leave it anywhere I don't feel comfortable with for any reason, EVER!

So maybe my needs for an alarm are different than yours. I mainly want one for the 2-way pager, glass breakage, and radar for when the sunroof is left open. I have already experiemented with adding a DEI pager to my stock alarm, and had issues, so it is time to upgrade. I don't need the latest and greatest OEL display remotes, so an older Viper or Clifford will work for me, and I will get the one that is the better deal.

I only have limited alarm install experience, so a bypass kit makes it easier for me to install an alarm myself.

I am willing to bet that most experienced guys here on SMD that have done their own installs could do an alarm, too, but for the average person, a professional shop would be best.

That's a good point you made, PT. Although, lots of people have DEI alarms, most people don't have the same installer do it in the EXACT same way. The factory has to for servicing reasons. I've never moved a factory alarm brain (in fact, I don't recall ever having to even work oonn one), so it didn't occur to me to do that. I'd say that mitigates a lot of my security concerns with the bypass kits. Also, we have to keep in mind that the bad guys won't know whether the alarm is a stand-alone unit or a bypass kit using factory wires.

Only having to make four connections for an alarm install is great! The only drawback is, the time you save on installation is going to be subtracted from the cost of the bypass kits and programming modules, is it not?

This is probably asking too much but, do the bypass kits allow for remote start installation without having to run an injector or tach wire and without a VATS or PASSLOCK bypass?

Only having to make four connections for an alarm install is great! The only drawback is, the time you save on installation is going to be subtracted from the cost of the bypass kits and programming modules, is it not?

Not sure on the costs, sorry. The Omega module for the PT is $45 at sonicelectronics, and for remote start you have to get a second module for another $25.

This is probably asking too much but, do the bypass kits allow for remote start installation without having to run an injector or tach wire and without a VATS or PASSLOCK bypass?

Yes, you can still get remote start, but they require a second module. It says "simple 2 wire connection to vehicle." PT Cruiser uses a computer chipped key. I have not researched that route because I don't want or need remote start.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG