Oem Alarm Upgrade Vs. Stand-alone Alarm

Hey Guys,

This topic pertains to the advantages of OEM factory alarm upgrades. I've never been to actual school for mobile electronics, but have done lots of alarms over the years. Lots of us haven't, so I know I'm not the only one that needs to hear some input from more experienced installers.

Sure, having a black box control locks, immobilizer bypasses, and factory alarm is nifty, but is it really necessary? How do these interface kits either save time for the installer or add security/ convenience for the customer?

Hey Guys,

This topic pertains to the advantages of OEM factory alarm upgrades. I've never been to actual school for mobile electronics, but have done lots of alarms over the years. Lots of us haven't, so I know I'm not the only one that needs to hear some input from more experienced installers.

Sure, having a black box control locks, immobilizer bypasses, and factory alarm is nifty, but is it really necessary? How do these interface kits either save time for the installer or add security/ convenience for the customer?

I am about to use an interface kit to install a Clifford alarm to supplement the factory alarm in my PT, which I have 'hacked' into to add sensors, siren, and additional LEDs.

I have a buddy who is a retired pro installer, and he says that there are a few wires that connect to the car from the bypass, then the aftermarket alarm connects to the bypass. The factory alarm stays intact and is controlled via the aftermarked alarm, so you lose the factory remote.

I am in no way trying to discount taking it to a pro installer, but I want to learn to do this myself, and having an expert friend nearby will make it easier for me.

There are a few pro installers here that will post up more info. You can search the web for the manual/diagram for your particular bypass kit to see how it connects to your car.

**EDIT, look for a member named Shyne for good advice.

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

I am about to use an interface kit to install a Clifford alarm to supplement the factory alarm in my PT, which I have 'hacked' into to add sensors, siren, and additional LEDs.

I have a buddy who is a retired pro installer, and he says that there are a few wires that connect to the car from the bypass, then the aftermarket alarm connects to the bypass. The factory alarm stays intact and is controlled via the aftermarked alarm, so you lose the factory remote.

I am in no way trying to discount taking it to a pro installer, but I want to learn to do this myself, and having an expert friend nearby will make it easier for me.

There are a few pro installers here that will post up more info. You can search the web for the manual/diagram for your particular bypass kit to see how it connects to your car.

**EDIT, look for a member named Shyne for good advice.

Exactly, my point. Why use an alarm upgrade to arm/disarm the factory alarm? True it saves you from having to find door lock wires, but why not just use a pulse (+/-) arm and disarm the factory alarm like we've always done? Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but so far, I don't see it's advantages.

Assuming the interface kits save the installer time (=money), but what about the security aspect? All factory alarms for the same vehicle are pretty much the same. Having the exact same alarm (minus any add-ons) as everyone else who drives that model car is not going to make the car more safe is it?

Exactly, my point. Why use an alarm upgrade to arm/disarm the factory alarm? True it saves you from having to find door lock wires, but why not just use a pulse (+/-) arm and disarm the factory alarm like we've always done? Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but so far, I don't see it's advantages.

Assuming the interface kits save the installer time (=money), but what about the security aspect? All factory alarms for the same vehicle are pretty much the same. Having the exact same alarm (minus any add-ons) as everyone else who drives that model car is not going to make the car more safe is it?

I agree, it's gotta be for ease of installation. The factory RKE on my PT is so integrated into the car, I guess it is easier to include it. One advantage is the that the aftermarket sensors will connect directly to the alarm, so you can add whatever you like, whereas adding aftermarket sensors to the factory alarm takes some work.

I will ask my installer friend your question next time we meet, maybe he can give a better answer.

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Here is my friends response, he is a 15+ yr veteran pro installer, so I guess his opinion is as good as any. :D

No compromise at all. The box makes installation easier - both aftermarket alarm & vtss are protecting the car and passing information to each other via the box. Our RKE (PT Cruiser factory alarm) can't be removed.....it also houses the door lock relays. Unplug it once and you'll find your door lock switches don't work any more. It only remains a weak link if you add an aftermarket alarm or leave the vtss in place WITHOUT additional sensors. Door pins are not enough........a shock sensor either added to the vtss or an aftermarket alarm is necessary.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

I am wanting to upgrade to a better alarm in my PT as well. This info is very helpful. I am wanting a good alarm without breaking the bank. Any suggestions?

No matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere, is sick of her shit.

99 Tahoe:

2-10" MA Audio

4-6.5" Kenwood door speakers

Total Amp

Sony HU

I am wanting to upgrade to a better alarm in my PT as well. This info is very helpful. I am wanting a good alarm without breaking the bank. Any suggestions?

Clifford RSX 3.5

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseac...Product_ID=3645

I'll PM you the PT specific info, so we are not threadjacking here

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

Clifford RSX 3.5

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseac...Product_ID=3645

I'll PM you the PT specific info, so we are not threadjacking here

This is not threadjacking, Bro. This is supposed to be an open discussion about ways we can help save each other time or make our own rides safer or louder (thanks, Steve :)).

Here is my friends response, he is a 15+ yr veteran pro installer, so I guess his opinion is as good as any. :D

No compromise at all. The box makes installation easier - both aftermarket alarm & vtss are protecting the car and passing information to each other via the box. Our RKE (PT Cruiser factory alarm) can't be removed.....it also houses the door lock relays. Unplug it once and you'll find your door lock switches don't work any more. It only remains a weak link if you add an aftermarket alarm or leave the vtss in place WITHOUT additional sensors. Door pins are not enough........a shock sensor either added to the vtss or an aftermarket alarm is necessary.

So, then the object is to use as much pre-existing factory wiring as possible. This is a good idea since, in my experience, it's hard (read, 'time consuming') to match factory wiring for reliability. This makes a better business case for one of the most lucrative reasons for running a shop or whatever.

Nevertheless, I think for a lot of guys when I say that, in my own vehicle, I don't want the same alarm wiring as anybody else. If a theif is going to disable my alarm, I don't want him to be able to research my wiring. Who agrees?

So, then the object is to use as much pre-existing factory wiring as possible. This is a good idea since, in my experience, it's hard (read, 'time consuming') to match factory wiring for reliability. This makes a better business case for one of the most lucrative reasons for running a shop or whatever.

Nevertheless, I think for a lot of guys when I say that, in my own vehicle, I don't want the same alarm wiring as anybody else. If a theif is going to disable my alarm, I don't want him to be able to research my wiring. Who agrees?

No problem, I meant that there are only of few PT Cruisers here on SMD, so I thought I would be wasting space in your post with PT Cruiser wiring info.

But anyway, for a PT Cruiser, the Omega brand Chrysler interface, has 4 wires that connect to the car, power, gound, a door lock wire in the kick panel, and a wire on the OBD connector under the dash. Then the aftermarket alarm connects to the interface and to it's own sensors.

Every car brand has the factory alarm in different places, but you can mount the bypass kit, and the aftermarket alarm wherever you want then add the sensors.

I agree with you on the wiring, but I guess that I mainly want an alarm to protect the car from vandalism vs theft. I mean, everyone has a Viper alarm, that does not mean that a thief could get past all Viper installations.

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG