Time Allignment/delay Goals And Achievment Discussion

t/a on my 800prs is OFF,dont and wont use it..maybe its my car or something but i dont like the results

07 mote carlo..

deh-p800prs hu-cdt gold 6.5's-cdt 6x9 2 ways-mcintosh mc431m(mids/highs)

bxi2608,2 10w7's in 4rth order(designed by pete k)ported into cabin via armrest cutout

dc power 260 amp alt-missing link module (15.4v)kicker 1/0 kit deka intimidator under hood

metered 141.0 @ 32hz windows down @ kick,termlab

Great topic!

I used to use it on my old Alpine head unit, when I recently switched to an Eclipse CD7000, I concentrated more on setting up the frequency sweep with their microphone/pinknoise and website. I have only done minor time adjustments to the drivers side front speakers, and am pretty happy with it so far.

Had I built a pure SQ setup, I would have been more focused on it to get a perfect center dash image. Right now I cheat with a component center channel. I think it would be considered a 'band-aid' to you SQ guys, but it works for me.

I am pretty much in agreement with James, it should be all about a full sound that does not come directly at you from any specific direction, other than a front center stage.

I pretty much stick to the Eclipse E-iServ for setup, placed the mic on the drivers seat headrest.

I like having the capability, but don't consider it a high priority in my car.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

t/a on my 800prs is OFF,dont and wont use it..maybe its my car or something but i dont like the results

I played with the 800prs before, that is a nice deck. One thing I noticed when using the t/a on it, maybe this might help you yield better results, is to delay the passenger mid and not the driver side. Since it uses in/cm it works a bit backwards(maybe whoever installed it plugged the rcas backwards idk) however try it, lets see if it is consistent on the 800prs.

Team Stereo Clarity

imo SQ is enveloping, when i can sit there and tell were every single speaker is thats rather meh to me. i realise some recording emphasize intruments in certain regions of the listening environment but for the most part i like it to sound like its around me as the listener rather then "coming form a central focal point.

but with t/a shouldn't that not happen at all, isnt that the idea of it, all the sound reaches yours ears at the same time? you should not be able to localize speakers. But only localize instrument like watching a concert.

anyone with a 360.2/cleansweep wanna comment?

The lack of slopes on the 360.2 is a bummer, also the limited xovers. I really wish RF would do software updates. The new Audison Bit1 was released this month, it looks very promising, with the specs thus far its an H701 killer. Only downside is you have to tune with computer, the controller is just a volume and eq preset control.

Edited by Megalomaniac

Team Stereo Clarity

I want to hear the SMD perspective on this topic:

1. Do you use it? Absolutely.

2. Do you care for it;(Do feel it is needed)? Love it

3. What's your method(s); your actual process into implementing time alignment? turn off tweets and sub, then play a song with vocals ( i use "too close" from the IASCA CD) . CLOSE MY EYES then Keep delaying until the image is dead center on the dash. Then mute the mids , turn the tweets on and play some mariah carey, or something with higher pitched stuff, then delay until it centers up. With the sub I add equal amounts of delay to each speaker until the sub eventually starts to move up toward the dash. Then play various songs that i am very familiar with and then do some tweaking from there. Also adjust any frequencies to try and get my stage to the perfect height.

4. Any thing to be done before you start the T/A process? Get rid of all the crap in your car like shoes, books, boxes.. anything that will mess with it.

5. What are you trying to achieve(goals) with T/A? Fix staging issues that cant be fixed with EQ or phasing

6. Post any other thoughts you may have with this discussion. Dont use auto time alignment ... its usually off from my experience. The 3sixty.2 has its own time delay function , i just dont use it because i like using it from my 880 instead.. just easier. 3sixty.2 has the stupidest crossover slopes in the world, which is why i dont use them and also let my 880 handle all the cut off and slopes and phasing. All the 3sixty.2 does in my car is equalize. I wouldn't have put it in my car if i didn't get it for dealer cost .

Too Much Stuff to list .