Second Skin Audio

Dayton Audio 18" Or Mach5audio Mj-18?

Dayton or M5A  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Choose which one you think is better

• Dayton Audio Classic 18" subwoofer (110$)
    • Mach 5 Audio MJ-18M 18" subwoofer (150$)
  2. 2. Frequency to tune it to

3. 3. Box Style

• 3.941cu.ft. (not in my closet)
    • 9.456cu.ft. (in my closet)

So, it comes to my attention my MTX's just arent doing the trick anymore, they are still plenty loud, but I really want that DEEP bass without having to get into the port wars, I mean I do tune my boxes, usually something between 30 and 40, most commonly 35hz

(box is 20x11x31 which leaves me with 3.941cu.ft. of airspace IF I use that spot)

(second choice is 20x19x43 which is 9.456cu.ft, the only prob is it would use my free closet space)

I have left all my choices above, choose what you think I should do and leave comments here as well, I only got 150 to work with hence why im asking.

And if your wondering what im going to be driving it with, I have a 550W plate amp to use.

and also, if your wondering why exactly I want a 18 in my bedroom, well... I like my Bass :D

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

^^ exactly

Home audio is always based on really low freqs due to the airspace in the house as apposed to cars

At least more towards Home Theater this is true, but if you still play good hard hitting music, maybe mix between rock, rap, ect, you will want the 18 as a dedicated SUB-woofer, and maybe something tuned an octave or 2 above the 18" to fill in some lost bass for when you do play music

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I thought my MTX's were good, I shoved em in the closet and sit on the far side of my bedroom, when the bass kicks in, my vision literally picks up ripples from my monitor, and before anyone says "your monitor must be going crappy", it never did this when they were in the corner ^^

my peek in this room appears to be about 45hz, it gets crazy at that frequency.

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

I thought my MTX's were good, I shoved em in the closet and sit on the far side of my bedroom, when the bass kicks in, my vision literally picks up ripples from my monitor, and before anyone says "your monitor must be going crappy", it never did this when they were in the corner ^^

my peek in this room appears to be about 45hz, it gets crazy at that frequency.

If you have a room peak around 45hz you'll have a resonance at about 22hz as well. Make a sub that can play that and then you'll be impressed... just make sure you blu-tak everything to the shelves and buy the neighbours some earplugs for christmas.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Agreed.

27hz Tapered Horn, OMFG...

:hairtrick: :hairtrick: :hairtrick:

Can you imagine the length @___@

Can't wait until after new years, I'm gonna build a mid-30hz tapped horn for 2 10's on 600wrms, should make an interesting addition to the old home theatre :hairtrick:

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Sucks that I still gotta be able to put my clothes in there D:

so, a tapered horn at 27hz, from what I see that would pressurize the room right?

or even better yet, what if I rebuilt my top shelf and built something out of that in the closet? its a real strong spot but i'd think it'd be better on the floor, forgot to mention I broke my closet door off almost 4 years ago, we were rough housing... and I got thrown into the door... Dont tell no body D:

Anyway, my tragic childhood being out of the way, how big of a box would a tapered horn need to be?

Edited by Sniper

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

I will draw up a basic pic of a Tapped horn, and throw it in here

I only made a handfull, and have gotten different results with different subs.

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.