Fi Bl 18 General Questions

Hey guys new to this forum but not to Steve's work and builds.

I just got my first sub the other day; the Fi BL 18" with cooling and 2OHM DVC.

Since it is my first build I don't have some of the simple experience that some of you might have.

My first question is when I wire it down to a 1 Ohm load to go into my Rockford Fosgate t10001 bd amplifier how would I go about doing it?

I have 10 gauge speaker wire and in order to wire it correctly you have to connect both negative terminals together and both positive terminals together. That isn't the problem.

The problem is that 10 gauge is already fitting snug in the terminal before I try to run out the speaker wire to the amplifier.

So overall my question is do I have to trim the wire down or what?

I think Steve runs 8 if I am not mistaken and I don't know how he does it, but then again do any of us know how he accomplishes the things he does.

Secondly, how do I mount the sub?

I have taken the rubber gasket off and made wholes in the frame where they already are.

But once I make the hole in my box how does it work?

I can't of any more questions right now so any help with these questions would be great :)

-Kasey

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

ok well first off nice choice of subs right off the bat, have you talked to other ppl or did you watth meade and try to follow some what in his foot steps??

ok well since that wire doesn't fit i'd recomend getting some 12 guage trust me it'll be fine i have a hifonics bxi 1605 running my 15" Q with 12 guage you'll do fine.

also yea just drop the sub in there and screw it down you'll be fine also make sure you got the rubber back on the outside. and why you running a bl off of 1000 watts you shouuld of went with the Q would of been better with the power you got

what size and tunniing is your box, also what kind of car???

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

ok well first off nice choice of subs right off the bat, have you talked to other ppl or did you watth meade and try to follow some what in his foot steps??

ok well since that wire doesn't fit i'd recomend getting some 12 guage trust me it'll be fine i have a hifonics bxi 1605 running my 15" Q with 12 guage you'll do fine.

also yea just drop the sub in there and screw it down you'll be fine also make sure you got the rubber back on the outside. and why you running a bl off of 1000 watts you shouuld of went with the Q would of been better with the power you got

what size and tunniing is your box, also what kind of car???

I was going with some dual 12" MTX from circuit city for the longest time before I really started getting into car audio. Then I was going to get one Kicker sub so I could still have half my third row, and then one day after watching steves videos for the millionth time I decided to go and look at Fi and there prices are damn good considering what you get.

I have a 2003 Tahoe and I am putting the BL in a 9 cubic foot box tuned to 32Hz.

If you could recommend what kind of 12 gauge that would be great because I got monster 10 gauge and both the positive and negative wire is bundled up into one so I have to split each wire and get out the separate wires before doing anything and its not easy considering I don't want to split the actual wire.

And the reason I went with BL instead of BTL or Q is because BTL is way to intense for my budget considering I would be underpowering it and the Q just didn't meet my needs because it is the sound quality of Fi and I wanted both SQ and SPL.

Also the reason I am using 1000 watts is because:

A.) that is what my budget called for

and

B.) Rockford Fosgate amplifiers are underrated. I have been on multiple forums and talked to many people about it and they have had anywhere from a range of 1100 watts to 1500 watts in some cases so the BL will be getting sufficient power.

If I may ask...how is your electrical system holding up with the Q.

You have a high performance alt.?

I have a Kinetik HC1400 coming sooner or later and a battery isolator.

I wire mine by using bolts threw the box and then jumping wires on the outside to make the correct ohm load so i only have 1 positive and negative coming out, and to mount the sub you cut a 16.750 diameter hole and then just screw the sub down with the rubber gasket on

I was going with some dual 12" MTX from circuit city for the longest time before I really started getting into car audio. Then I was going to get one Kicker sub so I could still have half my third row, and then one day after watching steves videos for the millionth time I decided to go and look at Fi and there prices are damn good considering what you get.

I have a 2003 Tahoe and I am putting the BL in a 9 cubic foot box tuned to 32Hz.

If you could recommend what kind of 12 gauge that would be great because I got monster 10 gauge and both the positive and negative wire is bundled up into one so I have to split each wire and get out the separate wires before doing anything and its not easy considering I don't want to split the actual wire.

And the reason I went with BL instead of BTL or Q is because BTL is way to intense for my budget considering I would be underpowering it and the Q just didn't meet my needs because it is the sound quality of Fi and I wanted both SQ and SPL.

Also the reason I am using 1000 watts is because:

A.) that is what my budget called for

and

B.) Rockford Fosgate amplifiers are underrated. I have been on multiple forums and talked to many people about it and they have had anywhere from a range of 1100 watts to 1500 watts in some cases so the BL will be getting sufficient power.

If I may ask...how is your electrical system holding up with the Q.

You have a high performance alt.?

I have a Kinetik HC1400 coming sooner or later and a battery isolator.

well shit 9 cubes is deff enough space for that sub thats for sure, and ok yea rockford is underrated and mine is a little over rated but still....

umm you actually have the exact sub i was goin to start off with just bigger i was just stupid and got the q but actually it gets suprsingly loud you can ask nofearx18 i hit a 140.2 with it in the trunk so not to bad. and sence you have the space im glad your using it um are you doin sub up and port up or back?? just curious now, and your right it is a sq sub

and yea ask what ever you want im pretty new too, umm my electrical is doin alright its holdin in there um since my car is a 1995 i have no voltage guage but im goin to get one umm i no it drops cuz i can tell that slight difference from the first hit to the next and its not the sub that affects the electrical its the amp. and no i have a stock electrical for now i have two D925 batteries being shipped to me now ill have them coming to me soon with them and my current set up im hopin to hit a 140.6 not to much louder but its somethin you'll figure out how hard those extra little bits are once you compete. and yea i started out the same way as you with the budget and the mtx crap too. but now im lookin to do either 4 12's or 2 15's, i also might be gettin a new amp to push about 2400 watts rms and im running 12 guage rockford wiring shit is nice man trust me

well shit 9 cubes is deff enough space for that sub thats for sure, and ok yea rockford is underrated and mine is a little over rated but still....

umm you actually have the exact sub i was goin to start off with just bigger i was just stupid and got the q but actually it gets suprsingly loud you can ask nofearx18 i hit a 140.2 with it in the trunk so not to bad. and sence you have the space im glad your using it um are you doin sub up and port up or back?? just curious now, and your right it is a sq sub

and yea ask what ever you want im pretty new too, umm my electrical is doin alright its holdin in there um since my car is a 1995 i have no voltage guage but im goin to get one umm i no it drops cuz i can tell that slight difference from the first hit to the next and its not the sub that affects the electrical its the amp. and no i have a stock electrical for now i have two D925 batteries being shipped to me now ill have them coming to me soon with them and my current set up im hopin to hit a 140.6 not to much louder but its somethin you'll figure out how hard those extra little bits are once you compete. and yea i started out the same way as you with the budget and the mtx crap too. but now im lookin to do either 4 12's or 2 15's, i also might be gettin a new amp to push about 2400 watts rms and im running 12 guage rockford wiring shit is nice man trust me

sub up, port back.

thats how SUV's are done.

I am pretty sure that my system is going to be intense though.

I don't have any low-end on my car because I bought it used.

It has the Bose system which I heard was a bitch when trying to upgrade...that is if you don't have a 3Sixty ^_^

But today I was bumping some Jeezy and it was already shaking my mirrors a little.

Just MIDS!

anyways IMO I would go with 2 15's because from what I have read it will be just as loud as the 4 12's if you supply them with some adequate power and the bigger the cone area the lower the notes you can hit so it is SQ and SPL like the BL has been brought up to be.

also I am a little confused when people say double baffle for the flush look.

I know that when you double up the sub can sit and the wood comes to the gasket flush and it gives it more support but is the top piece of the box supposed to be baffle board and the rest MDF or is MDF the same as baffle board?

do particle board in the hole thing

and yea i wasn't sure about the 4 12's i mean shit i'd look sexy as hell plus alot more cone area then the 2 15's which would help but i dont wan to be in the same class as some of my friends with my crappy car cuz i does help my system any