Ok, I gotta post up for all you pro installers. This stuff is not easy! A few days ago I was in the mindset that with a couple of various diagrams, I could install a new Viper 5900 on my PT. It all looked pretty straight forward and I planned on skipping the remote start....so how hard could it be?

Now I have had aftermarket alarms in the past, including Viper,but always had them professionally installed.

This time around I decided it was time for me to learn how to do this.

My PT already has a factory alarm, that has to stay in place due to so many other things that the module controls. So when I read about the adapter kits coming out, I PM'd a friend who used to be an installer about them. He ordered one up and has it installed in his PT running an aftermarket remote kinda like Steve uses in the Hoopty. Its an Omega product. I told him I wanted to use one with a Viper alarm, but not until he was sure it would work on a PT.

So I order the 5900, Omega adapter kit, and some extra Viper sensors, (glass and radar). Alarm comes with shock already.

In the meantime, my friend emails me a very detailed and color coded diagram to show me where everything goes. I was destroyed! One look at the diagram and my first thought was "I can't do this!"

After spending the morning at his place while he explained everything and soldered it all together for me, so now I just have a few wires to connect to the car and will be all set. I feel a lot better now. :D

It is far from just a simple look at the diagrams and hook it up kinda job. He knew exactly which parts could use the same wires and which ones could not, like the sensors, which wires would not be used, and what was specific to the PT Cruiser.

Needless to say, had I went about it on my own, it would not have been successful.

Thanks to him, I saved a ton of money, and just have a few final connections to make tomorrow, and then programming and setting the sensors.

Just wanted to post to say that even with an adapter these things are not easy to install yourself, yes the adapter makes it all easier, but it's not like it's plug and play!

So my respect goes out to the pro installers out there! :drinks:

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG